View Single Post
Old 02-02-2011, 01:18 AM   #55
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindale View Post
And this. At some point in the past, the lonely mountain, if it is truly a volcano, should have erupted at least once in over five thousand years. After the fall of Beleriand Elves have lived in Rivendell, Lorien, Mirkwood, and Eriador, not to mention the mortals in Dale and the ancestors of the Rohirrim--do they not have any records of any eruptions, anyone noticing that smoke and lava running down the slopes.

But if it isn't a volcano, then how did the Arkenstone come from the Lonely Mountain? Unless it was an extraterrestrial diamond (though it is unlikely): a meteor or an asteroid, one of Varda's stars (because where would it have come from anyway, but whether it is Varda's star or not is quite irrelevant), falls (remember that Eol got his black metal, what's it called again, from a meteorite) and thus delivers a carbonado kind of diamond.

So there. I might be really wrong about this, but... I disagree with the Lonely Mountain being a volcano and the Arkenstone being a Silmaril. Oh well. A fun thread!
Apart from the fact that volcanoes go extinct eventually, they can also be dormant longer than five thousand years. There are many like that near where I live. So I don't think we need an "extraterrestrial" origin for the Arkenstone.

But, like you, I also disagree that the Arkenstone is a silmaril, because a.) it is my belief that Tolkien would have left much more definite hints if it were the case, and b.) the "for" case relies on what seem to me some very strained arguments, as:

Quote:
I'd say that one could say (contrary to the opinion that someone had previously expressed) that the cutting and fashioning could be the scraping off of accumulated gunk from the surface of the gem.
Quote:
If the silmaril was in the molten heart of the earth, a layer of lesser gems could have accumulated on it. This substance would be softer then the silmaril (although everything is softer then the silmarils) and would have been a less perfect transmitter of light to and from the gem.

The other substance might also explain the lack of lusting after the gem. As elves and men were not effected everywhere in Arda by the silmarils so there must have been a factor of distance.
All very ingenious, but my general feeling is that if you have to jump through so many hoops in order to make your case, it's probably wrong.

(And sorry, Alfirin, but the same applies to Arkenstone-as-Fëanorian lamp.)

Last edited by Nerwen; 02-02-2011 at 01:36 AM. Reason: added quote; typo.
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote