View Single Post
Old 01-22-2011, 04:03 AM   #2910
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
What was said - Elempi, I think you just have to excuse us if we don't write "properly". Let's face it, basically every second word in English comes from Latin, and us non-native speakers simply cannot always find an appropriate synonym. I mean, we try to avoid obvious anachronisms and for example myself, knowing Latin, can make a pretty good guess when some word has latin origins, but finding a synonym is much more difficult if not impossible (never heard about "ledger" before either). Aside from that, you'll need a major in linguistics to be able to discover the root of every word anyway. Sorry, I can understand that it breaks the immersion for you, but this is first of all about having fun writing, and if you expected so high standards from this RP, you might've just as well ended up with very few people to post.

Personally I tend to think of the story we are writing in the same way as Tolkien presented his: these are events that took place in Middle-Earth recounted by somebody else, a narrator who writes for the contemporary reader, trying to do his best to capture the feeling the Rohirrim gave in their original world. But the Rohirrim don't speak some old Anglo-Saxon languages, they speak Rohirric or Rohirric-modified Westron, but we, as the narrators, are the "translators" from the "Middle-Earth" language to our own, just like Tolkien was. Each one of us is a translator, and not all of the translators have the same capabilities. People like myself or Nog are simply not translating into our mothertongue. If we say something outright anachronistic or awkward, it is most welcome if you correct us. But a small and random thing like the use of the word "documents" is, by all means, not such a big deal, I'd say.

Anyway, as for the original reason why I wanted to post here I am quite busy nowadays, but I am definitely going to post for Hilderinc during this weekend, maybe already this evening, so I ask just for a little patience...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories