View Single Post
Old 12-02-2010, 04:15 PM   #1297
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
OK, results of my brainstorming so far:
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Riddler of Amon Lanc
In twilight born my mother was,
her path did end by Western shores
after the mountains shook, before
the darkness came in times of yore
and after glory came the loss.
This made me think of the River/Gulf of Lhûn, which I presume was one of the tributaries of Gelion before the drowning of Beleriand; in which case the 'mother' would be the tributary of the Lhûn which springs from the Hills of Evendim (which is another word for twilight). After the mountains shook (i.e. after the War of Wrath) the Lhûn issued directly into the Sea (=Western shores). Before the darkness came etc. could refer to the decline of the Kingdom of Arnor - which however didn't affect the course of the River, so ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by the same
Close to the King was she of late
but long before, in tide of fate
I have been thrown into the war
in blood I've seen the Dark One's fall
when Men of Light have earned his hate.
Annúminas, the royal city of Arnor, was right on the other side of the hills; IIRC it was sacked by the Witch-King (=the Dark One) in his war against Arnor; the fall could refer to his overcoming in the Battle of Fornost, when Eärnur, Captain and later King of Gondor, earned his special hatred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by still the same
I've been a friend to all the guards
of light - of peace - till I betray'd
them in the vicious nightly raid
when fear was piercing all their hearts.

They came and went - I have remained.
Here my first thoughts were the bridge of Osgiliath, or maybe the gates of Minas Tirith (building on the vicious nightly raid), but in both cases the guards survived while the object that was their friend didn't, so meh. In any case I find it impossible to reconcile this stanza with my interpretation of the first and second without an amount of stretching that would get me lynched if this was Werewolf - so I'm still pretty much lost.
Ah well, maybe this gives you some thoughts which will eventually lead us to the solution. Good luck!