View Single Post
Old 09-03-2010, 11:12 AM   #40
Puddleglum
Wight

Puddleglum has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim View Post
I do not take other talking objects - the troll's purse, Turin's sword - at face value, thinking of them as storytellers' decoration, and it is, in any case, implied to a far smaller degree that the horn talked. Still, interesting topic.
The trolls purse and Turin's black sword seem to be pretty specific clear cases of objects speaking with words - just from how those incidents are described.
  • "Troll's purses are mischief, and this one was no exception. 'Ere, oo are you?' it squeaked as it left (Bills) pocket." In this case, a simple set of notes or grunts would have no particular meaning to Bilbo. And the story is written from his perspective. Seems clear Tolkien intended for Bill to have a talking purse.
  • Turin actually carried on a (short) conversation with his sword. Turin: "Black sword, will you drink my blood?" Sword: "Gladly, so I can forget the innocent blood YOU made me drink." (paraphrase of quotes).
In the case of the horn call of Buckland, there is never an indication in Tolkien's wording that any of the horns themselves spoke or squeaked words. It's always the horn-CALL (ie, the music) that is associated with the words.

Last edited by Puddleglum; 09-03-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Puddleglum is offline   Reply With Quote