View Single Post
Old 06-05-2010, 11:00 PM   #33
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Peter Weir's name was frequently brought up in speculative lists even in the original director search. Based on his resume, I never quite got why he was so often suggested. I have a sneaking feeling that it's based mainly on the fact that he was one of the first to employ Billy Boyd after LotR.

I think Weir is an interesting director, but I would judge the odds of him getting involved with The Hobbit as extremely slim. He does films for grown-ups, complete with smoldering sexuality, ambiguity, and restrained understatement -- all qualities which aren't really in the Peter Jackson playbook. Besides, I've never seen that sense of humor and whimsy from him that I think a director really needs to have to do credit to Tolkien's novel. Also, Weir's more of an artist than a gun-for-hire (Green Card notwithstanding). He'd definitely be the type of guy who would want to make the project his own if he were to come on to it.

You know whose name I'm surprised I've never seen on any of these lists, especially the original search? Brad Silberling. I thought he did a fine job with the Lemony Snicket movie. I thought that should have been a bigger hit, but I guess it had a particular sort of humor which might not have translated well overseas. And now, well, let's face it, the crime against cinema known as Land of the Lost has probably relegated him to the B- or C-list for the foreseeable future. You don't want that stink on The Hobbit.
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote