View Single Post
Old 04-14-2010, 09:21 PM   #2485
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eorl of Rohan has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree here. Rohan would still be operating under a code of honor. According to that code, it's a man's job to protect (NOT attack) women, and it's perfectly acceptable for a man to test and challenge the honor of someone who is his equal. As it happens, Wuilfric did exceed the proper boundaries of the challege/response format, but his actions almost fit within society's guidelines. Attacking Kara would most definitely not.
Hi, Loslote No, no, Scyrr wouldn't "attack" her. It would be like this:

Quote:
Kara gathered the last armful of blueberries and wrapped them carefully in leaves, wide and cool, so that they wouldn’t be crushed and spoiled on her way back to Scarburg. This would make a wonderful blueberry pie. Perhaps she should gather some herbs as well? But no, the sun was going down, and she had entered too deeply in to the woods anyway. She should be heading back, right ab…

“It’s dangerous to be out alone in the woods these days, don’t you think?”

The voice rang out from above her, and startled, Kara looked up, to see a man perched on a high bough of a mighty elm with one hand on the elm’s trunk. He smiled wryly in a manner that struck a chill into her. His smile had a forced look about it, unbalanced, as if its maker had not decided whether he should smile or snarl, and his stare was cold and very hard. It took a moment before Kara recognized who he was. That rider… That man who was the cause of Erbrand going away. Scyrr. She had not recognized him at first because he had cast off his usual dark green and silver livery of a rider of the Mark, including his chain mail, and was clad in the dull brown of a commoner. The dull brown that matched the branches and the wood, as if he was in a camouflage. Who was the quarry? Oh, no, he wouldn’t dare. Or would he?

“What’s with that expression, Miss? I’m not going to hurt you. Or do you have some valid reason to be afraid of a rider of the Mark?”

Scyrr asked, alighting to the ground with easy grace. His injuries had taken a severe toll on his body, but he had always relied on his swiftness and dexterity and they did not let him down so easily. The injuries he caused. Erbrand.

Kara drew back, nervous. “No, no. It’s just that the sun is setting, and I have to hurry back. Perhaps I could better make your acquaintance later.”

She would have left; but then an instant later, a skinning knife whistled through the air and buried itself with a thwack in a tree beside her. It almost grazed her cheek.

“Where do you think you’re going?” Scyrr asked, his voice a dangerous purr. He had faith enough in his knife-throwing skill to know that he would not have hit her, but still, he had hesitated for a moment when he saw the fear in her eyes. He shook it off. They were all the same, these commoners, wild and feral, and who’s to say that the sweetheart of that tanner is not like him in spirit?

“I have been waiting here for you for hours. Surely you could spare a bit of time to aid us in our hunt for Erbrand.” Scyrr waited a moment, then said icily, “I heard you were on… intimate terms with the tanner. If anyone knew where he would have gone, it would be you. And yet you have kept your stony silence, saying that you knew nothing.”

“I…” Kara would have said something, but Scyrr interrupted with a snarl.

“I think you are lying, Kara. He wouldn’t have left you without a word. I think Erbrand has spoken to you before he left, has told you where he would be going, and where to find him after the hunt has died down. You are deliberately withholding information, and that, miss, counts as treason.”

“And the price for treason is death.” Scyrr said, his limpid blue eyes fixed on Kara, and his left hand dropped to the hilt of his blade.

*enter someone, preferably Thornen (probably the only one that Scyrr wouldn’t attack, out of respect for his rank), out searching for Kara because she was late, and stumbling across the scene*

*New Conflict Ensues*
More of a threatening kind, if you see what I mean. Scyrr wouldn't actually do anything to hurt her, but would say and do plenty of things to make her think that he would hurt her. Anyway, about that code of honor, Wulfric, a *young* man, attacked a *gray-haired* man! That's downright lowest of the low, even lower than attacking defenseless women and children. Only savages would do that. How is that code of... Wait. Is this one of those cultural differences?

PS. I am not sure. Is my post about Kara and Scyrr god-moding? I thought it would be okay because Kara is an NPC now, and I kept her speech and movement to a minimum, but still...