View Single Post
Old 06-01-2003, 04:25 PM   #44
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I just thought of something- I'm sorry if someone else has said it.
He concentrates too much on the authors. Lets say, for arguments sake, that both JRRT and JKR are in fact heretics. By their books they want to make people become witches and wizards. In fact they're probably zipping around right now on broomsticks cackling.

BUT people read their books and through messages that the two of them didn't mean to send out they decide to become better Christians. I mean, speaking only for myself, the examples given by characters make me want to be more self-sacrificing, braver, kinder, more noble. How is that wrong? I mean people have truly been touched by these books and gone on to become better people. Even if this is not what the authors meant why is it a problem?

I mentioned my book. This is one of the best phrases:
Quote:
In ME I have found a training ground, a place where I can apprentice to those whose gifts of charity, wisdom, kindness, mercy, love and faithfulness far surpass my own...Reading about the virtues of fictional characters has little power to instill those virtues in us. Yet good books can give us a template, a way of understanding the world, so that when our time of testing comes, when the deed is set before us that we alone have been called to do, we will know the choices that we face.
Once again, how can that be wrong?

And someone mentioned about sending him a link to the BDs. There is no way he would profane himself by even considering it. He thinks that it's all wrong and he doesn't strike me as a person who is willing to admit the fact that he may be wrong. Or even that there are other possibilities. How very Christian of him, I must say.

[ June 01, 2003: Message edited by: Lyra Greenleaf ]
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link