View Single Post
Old 05-31-2003, 04:14 AM   #12
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

eleanor_niphredil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Its going to kill me to say this, but harry Potter is not evil. As much as i hate it, I havent got the heart to say that it is truley evil, or even bad. However, I have not read these books, so I cannot have much of an argument for them.

I can see where he is coming from with lord of the rings, though. If you went searching for it, many things in LOTR hint at what he is calling witchcraft. Galadriels scrying pool is often thought of as pagan, and in his opinion, evil. Alot of LOTR is structured around the five elements of fire, water, earth, air and spirit. It is just as easy to see it as a pagan work as a christian work. However, the writer of this artical does not go into any of this, showing that he has no knowlage of the occult anyway.It also suggests that he has never read LORT or Harry potter.
Another pagan thing in LOTR is the personification of these elements. It clearly says that hobbits refer to the sun as she. When Tolkien says that the woods are listening, he is not using a metephore. But this does not make it evil.That would make evryone who absent mindedly said sorry to the chair the bumped into evil, everyone that refered to his/her car as a she.

I would just like to know, how is it that everything has to be pagan or chriastian. Does it not occure to this person that perhaps Tolkien and JK Rowling did not astop to wonder if their writing was supporting a certain religion? Perhaps they just wrote it. You could go back on any writing and find something christian and something pagan. He only sees it in these two books because they are in the public eye at the moment.

Knowing me, i just repeated what everyone esle said. Well, great minds think like if I did.

[ May 31, 2003: Message edited by: eleanor_niphredil ]