View Single Post
Old 11-05-2009, 06:04 PM   #1853
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
We can hold off on the banquet, then, right Nogrod? Since so many people want something up before it?

K....your comments about the Hall map....

Quote:
What do you mean by the Guardroom? Is it meant to be room where the guards sleep or where they have their office - or where they guard?
Place where the guards and probably other men at present stay. Yes, it is very large. No, I'm not sure what exactly it's for. I don't like it and want to change it, but have had no inspiration yet.

Quote:
Couldn't the armoury be on the left of the doors as that would be the coldest part of the hall during cold periods and thus liberate space for a table or two near the kitchens where it would be warmer?
I agree. After I arranged it, I decided that that was a horrible place for the armory. I don't want it to be to the left, though, because I want the hall to have the front door to be in the center and opening to an even space both to the right and the left, and just have the hall a clean, rectangle sweep, if that makes sense.

Quote:
Also we need to attach fireplaces - and look at their places in accordance with the second story so that all the warmth that comes from the fireplaces would directly heat the rooms up above them and not go astray. And the kitchen oven (& the possible fireplace on top of that) should also be used to warm some upper-story chambers?
I have been thinking about the fireplace, too. I think the fireplace in the main hall should be on the right wall - against what I now have being the armory and the guardroom. That means those two rooms should be used for people to live in.

The kitchen fireplace I put where it is because of the fire issue I had been thinking of. But you made a comment...

Quote:
We had a corridor between the kitchen and the Hall in the previous Hall as the hall was made of wood. But now it seems lord Eodwine had gotten his wishes through at least in part - and thus it would make it possible that the wall between the Hall and the kitchen would be made of stone and thus there needn't be a corridor for fire safety reasons... which means more warmth to the Hall as the kitchen oven might be made into the wall with the Hall itself...
Which means we can shift kitchen up against the great hall and put the fireplace up against the hall. I think I will put the kitchen against the hall and then put the armory and maybe even the guardroom below the kitchen, which will help enclose the courtyard even more. The fireplace will then be able to be on the back wall of the kitchen and therefore warm the guard room. I will draw it sometime tomorrow, I imagine, won't have time tonight.

And still...upstairs...

Oh, if we move the guardroom and armory, we can put the master-bedroom (so to speak) and the ladies quarters in those two downstairs room on the right of the great hall. That way, it will be realistic that everyone would be housed but they would not have completed the upper storey at all.

I am all for a post with Saeryn and Degas now. Fea, do you want to start it, or should I? Degas is on horseback, so Saeryn can't very find him unless he comes back.

Back to class I go!

-- Foley