View Single Post
Old 05-30-2003, 04:37 AM   #18
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The book report is nothing drastic. We call it a "story outline". You say the title, the author, the plot, the themes, etc.

It was very sad for me to write the plot because I had to leave out all the good stuff and just write a quick outline about the Simarils since they are the main goal in the story. Here's what my plot looks like.(Don't worry about telling me what you think because I've just handed the report in anyway.):

Ainulindale: In this tale Eru creates Arda and the Valar. He aloud some of the Valar to descend to the earth in order to shape and govern it. Melkor, the most powerful used his strength to destroy instead of creates. In the shaping and destroying the world was formed.
Quenta Silmarillion: When the elves first were born there were two lands; the one of the Valar, called Valinor, and the one across the sea that was ruled by Melkor, called Middle Earth. The elves were born in Middle Earth. For their own safety Manwe summons them to live in Valinor. Not all sailed across the sea. Those who did not attempt the journey were known as the Avari and later the Moriquendi. The others were called the Vanyar, the Noldor and the Teleri. The Vanyar and the Noldor all reached their destination but the Teleri split at the shore. Those who stayed became the Sindar while the others dwelt on the shores of the Valinor.
For many years the elves lived happily in the lands of the Valar. However, the Noldor became restless. The most restless of them all and perhaps the most skillful and powerful of all elves was Feanor. It was he who forged the pride and bane of many; the Silmarils. The three Simarils hold the light of the two trees of the Valar. When Morgoth destroys the trees the Valar ask Feanor for his Simarils but he refuses. However, once Feanor goes home he finds that his Simarils have been stolen by Morgoth. He and his sons take an oath to recover the Simarils from any person no matter what the costs and bans the Noldor together to pursue him. They travel back to Middle Earth. There, the Noldor, sometimes with the help of others battle Morgoth. All seems to be in vein, for Mandos cursed them so that all their deeds turned on them.
One by one, each Noldor nation fell to Morgoth. The only ones able to recover the Simarils were not even Noldor Elves. They were Luthien, Sindarian Princess and the human Beren. Their son Earendil traveled to Valinor with the Simaril to ask the Valar to save the peoples of Middle Earth from Morgoth. Being half-elven he was able to speak on behalf of both Men and Elves. At Earendil’s plea the War of Wrath ensued. Morgoth was defeated, imprisoned in “The Door of Night” beyond the “Walls of the World” and the Valar confiscated the remaining two Simarils.
Maedhros and Maglor, the only sons of Feanor that remained now, bound by their oath, reluctantly capture the Simarils from the Valar. They find that the evil they have committed in trying to regain the treasure has made them unworthy of it and the jewels burn their hands. Maedhros, in despair, flung himself into a fiery chasm. Maglor threw his into the sea. The remaining Simaril that Earendil had possessed was bound to his brow as he sailed the sky. Therefore, the Simarils find their rest in the sky, the water, and the earth.

See what I ment by cutting things out? I even had to leave out Alkallbeth so it didn't look like I was getting too detailed. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

[ May 30, 2003: Message edited by: Rose Cotton ]