View Single Post
Old 10-12-2009, 05:21 PM   #24
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
At least when the battle was clearly lost it would make sense to withdraw if possible, thus being able to fight another day. The Balrog who we meet in the third age almost achived victory for the forces of evil, something it would not have been able to do had it been slayen in a last stance at Angband.

I am not saying that fighting against all odds is always stupid, as you cannot run forever, but to insist on it at all times is foolish.
Well, I am not speaking about my opinions on this question at all. I am merely thinking about the Balrog (and the others) now. As for what you said in the first part, personally I don't think he would have thought of anything like that when he was escaping - like, calculating that he might take revenge one day, or carry on the legacy of his master. Of course. He could start to think of destroying a few Gandalfs only when he was safely somewhere in a warm cavern. "Hide-hide!" was probably his only thought when the judgement came upon Angband, quite logically.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote