View Single Post
Old 10-08-2009, 07:02 AM   #1615
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
But wouldn't somebody tell Saeryn for sure whether Eodwine lived or died? While it's good to keep it ambiguous if LMP wants to come back at any point, it's not entirely plausible in terms of characters. Surely somebody would inform his pregnant wife that he was either alive or dead.
I don't think this should prove to be a mjor problem... Let's say it takes a few days to get into Edoras, then they try to cure him for for a few days, then traveling to Rohan, a month or two in the houses of healing... Do you see where I'm getting at?

It would take at least two months before there could be anything to inform anyone about - and the message would have to come back as well, first to Edoras and then from there to the Mead Hall. So we would have at least three months (game time) ahead of us with no knowledge of his destiny.

Now we managed to write one particular day in the story for one year real-time!
(okay, we'll probably not be that slow anymore as there will be no huge games to be organised etc. but anyway we could sort out Eodwine's fate later - like the next year (RL) or something. And even if the message would then be that he died in Minas Tirith, you know how stories and rumours are... they might not be true...

By sending in a new eorl king Eomer surely has sent a strong message about how he feels about lord Eodwine's chances of making it... and we should take the attitude that he will die and dies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
I'm trying to figure out if it's plausible that Saeryn would stay if Eodwine was going. I'm thinking if she was pregnant and they worried that her traveling would be disruptive to it?
What would you think about the following suggestion: If it's the morning (or the night before) the landlords come when Eodwine takes ill, then people would advice Saeryn to stay and take her place in receiving the quests while Eodwine is taken to Edoras. She could then ride after him the next day or something like that - and get her last moments with him in the city where the doctors decide he should be sent to Minas Tirith - a trip too much for a pregnant woman...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
Sorry, Nog, love, but a new Eorl is just asking for trouble.
That was actually the original idea. Isn't it some drama we need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foley
you mentioned a new right-hand man for the new eorl. Does this mean that Thornden will be replaced? The new eorl is bringing in his own steward? I guess that's fine, especially if he comes from a large household or estate where there would be a steward. Just means more interesting reactions for my characters to have.
Possibly even replaced, but at least challenged with his position... But as you say the intention is to open up new possibilities and tensions to make it more interesting to write.

Quote:
Oooh! More boys! This will be GREAT!
Well, these two played by Lommy will be 17 and 21 so a bit different kind of troublemakers... but I would love to see more kids to join the MH as well! Think of a spoiled kid of the new eorl getting along with Garmund, Cnebba, Leodthern and Javan...

Quote:
I would like to see what manner of man the new Eorl is. Are you going to get up a Character Bio of him sometime?
I think it would be fair that the writers of all the new characters would supply a bio for their characters.

But of the new eorl I could say at least the following right now. Firstly king Eomer wouldn't appoint just anybody to such a position so he will be a war-hero from the Pelennor fields, about the same age as lord Eodwine (a few years older actually). Also he comes from an aristocratic family, kind of old nobility... and as he knows his stature and place among any group of people he demands others to know their place likewise. So do not expect to see a person like Eodwine who would like to make personal friends with all his staff...

It will actually be quite a challenge to me to write him as he seems to be an almost polar opposite of me... But that's one of the reasons I'm really looking forwards into writing him. A challenge indeed.

Quote:
Is there any new part you would like me to play? I currently have three characters, all of them very different from each other, and may be willing to pick up a fourth, if it can also be different than the other three.
As you say, let's see. If we get a few more new writers we could go with that. I mean writing three characters is alrady quite a lot. But I'm in no way saying you shouldn't take a fourth one if you wish that yourself.