View Single Post
Old 10-07-2009, 04:17 PM   #1609
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Before I say anything, I just want to say that me posting here is NOT me coming back. No promises for any sort of activity, because I'm not particularly reliable these days and I don't want to make promises I can't keep.

That being said, I've got thoughts about what I'm reading, as I'm reading it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
I almost think it's fitting if his character leaves, too, seeing as they're so close together in our minds.

If that happens, I also like the idea of Saeryn being pregnant with their first child. That'll add some interest to me and probably others around here.
1) I concur that it is fitting for Eodwine to die upon LMP's departure. I also believe that it would add a significant amount of literary drama to the story. And as a story which so often revolves around the day to day life of The Common Man, a bit of drama can never go amiss.

I was also taught that if you hit a standstill in a story and writing just doesn't seem to be happening, kill a main character and then you can fill the rest of the book with everybody's reactions.

As far as an appropriate end to a beloved character, I think it would be more fitting for him to die in the pursuit of an exciting story than for a hesitant writer to try [and probably fail] to continue his existence. I've taken on other people's characters before, and I promise, they never entirely feel like yours. No matter how good you get at them, no matter how long you do it, there's always a nagging feeling that you're not doing it quite right, because you're not doing it the way the original writer would have done.

So I approve of killing Eodwine. Quite possibly in a really anticlimactic way, such as a riding accident or an infection. There's not really any need for, say, a band of raiders to show up and attack. That would take attention away from the Mead Hall and divert it to a bunch of stock characters that showed up solely to kill someone. More believable and more appropriate would be if Eodwine's life was lost in the course of his daily activities.

That being said,

2) Foley: Saeryn is a twin. Twins run in families. Just sayin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin
tensions between the local farmers/peasants and Scarburg. Is it time for a little death and destruction?
Or there's that.

But bear in mind that the King (and the rest of the Eorls) won't kindly put up with a peasant uprising, as it gives other peasants dangerous ideas and threatens the stability of the entire country in terms of society and economy. Uprisings aren't popular with those in power, and if there is one (especially since Degas's holdings just had one), it's going to cause some serious political problems.

Presumably the King would assign a trusted and heavy handed Eorl to Scarburg at that point, to quash further troubles before they start.

Which would not go very well given Saeryn would presumably still be alive as the Lady of the Hall, pregnant with what may well be the heir, and Degas, having just promised Eodwine that they're brothers and all, would show up very displeased with any upstart that had ideas about taking the title of his knocked up sister.

No! This is bad! I was trying to write Degas out and all y'all are providing a really great reason for him to come back!

He can't govern two holdings!

Of course he would, in that situation. Or he would try.

In the event that Eodwine would die, Degas would petition the King to allow him to govern Scarburg as a steward whilst Saeryn dealt with having a baby. Degas would cite the bride price/dowry as well as citing Saeryn's position.

If Eodwine dies, Degas will fulfill his oath to protect the land and his sister.

If Eodwine dies, you jerks, I'm going to have to come back and write Degas.

Jerks. You jerks. You did that on purpose!

Nog, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nog
But lord Eodwine will take ill just a little before the meeting of the landlords... He is seriously ill... (and will be removed with anyone wishing to accompany him to Edoras where they could try to heal him)
I vote infection.

Or pneumonia. Everybody loves a good bout of pneumonia as a way to knock off a character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nog
We'd only need to find a writer for Rowenna in that case. Anyone interested and not having too much to write already?
I'll write her.

Okay, so I'm caught up.

Nog, you're writing a new Eorl with a new wife?

I like that, but I'm concerned. Because of Degas's oath that should anything happen to Eodwine, he'd take care of business, I don't see him reacting too well to somebody new coming in.

Which might in fact work extremely well for some drama if Degas's petition to the king was refused and somebody else was brought in. Degas would not be at all happy and would consider it a slight against both him, his sister, and the memory of Eodwine. As well as a deliberate stripping of the title of Saeryn's as yet unborn child[ren].

So to get to my final point, would you, Nog, be opposed to Degas being opposed to your new Eorl?

PS: i totally wasn't going to come back, I was just going to read the thread and offer some opinions.

Grumble grumble.