View Single Post
Old 08-28-2009, 09:46 AM   #39
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSteefel View Post
This interpretation implies, however, that the much more rapid failure of such figures as Boromir (especially) and Isildur (perhaps partly to be expected given the fact that his decision comes also on the brink of Sammath Naur, after witnessing the destruction of first his brother and then his father) to resist the Ring is really a result of the fact that their character flaws removed or at least lowered the obstacles to the Ring's domination of their personalities. One might argue in fact that Boromir never got to the same point of total loss of personality as Frodo does at Sammath Naur, but then he never possessed the Ring.
Exactly. I would say that in Boromir's and Isildur's case, the Ring offers them what they want and so uses their desire for power to make them want the ring, whereas for Frodo (and the same may have gone for Sam- he was able to give up the Ring even in Mordor and having been offered the chance to make it green) had no desire. Because of this, the Ring had no footholds and I think that in the end it just took control of his mind by force instead of sneaking in the way it did with others. In this way, I think it broke his will more than it did Isildur's, and would have done for Boromir, because they still had an agenda and a plan, whereas Frodo's mind became the Ring's, to the point that he had no will of his own left at Sammath Naur.