View Single Post
Old 08-10-2009, 07:21 PM   #3
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
The D-League vs. The Dark Monarch
Volume 1, Issue 3: Fresh Recruits (Part I)

It was the morning of the recruitment. Wild-Eye was smelling all the wonderful breakfast food. Breakfast food is really the best, you can eat eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, waffles, during any time of day. There was sweet-smelling fruit in bowls, cartons of milk and OJ, and Wild-Eye's favourite, a coffee machine. He was going all out to try and attract the best heroes, they better get here. "Don't worry Wild-eye. What is it they always say? Feed them and they will come?" He chuckled and made his way to the table and comfy chair, that he had "borrowed" from the lounge and placed out front.

There was a crowd of people standing around, most looked confused and lost, some were engaged in conversation. This must be them! Wild-eye's spirits had rose, he had been sporadically receiving calls the last couple days of heroes saying they would come and now they were here!

"If you all want to come down here and we can get started" Wild-eye shouted out to the crowd. "Ok, I guess just form a queue and when I call your name, tell me your power. I may ask for a demonstration, and once you're done you may enjoy all the food and drink that's been laid out for you."

~~

"Alright, first up...alona."

An excited looking girl, who had a somewhat dazed look in her eyes came up. "Hi!" she smiled widely and held out her hand. "I'm alona."

"Excellent. Well, alona. What's your power?"

"I make useful, everyday charms."

"Charms?" Wild-eye was perplexed.

"Yes. Here." She reached into her pocket and pulled out a gold chain with a silver heart hanging on it. "It's an anklet."

"What makes you think, I would wear, or need an anklet?"

"Well, this just isn't any anklet. This one I made with love. See the heart, and it will protect you from knapply-kronks."

"What are knapply-kronks?"

"You don't want to know. Dangerous little buggers. They will steal your DVDs. Now you won't have to worry about them. You don't have to thank me, I love making charms for people." Alona was still smiling widely.

"Umm...ok...urrm...thanks." Wild-eye gave a fake smile. "Help yourself to the buffet. Next, I have here, autume?"

~~

Another girl came up, out of the crowd. This one looked a little more shy than alona.

"You autume?" asked Wild-eye. She nodded. "Good. Now I have here you go by Lady Tum, the Fish Whisperer. Uh, I have to ask the obvious question. Do you claim to talk to fish?"

"I don't claim it. I do. And I don't want to correct you, but I don't really talk to them. I get real close to them, and whisper to them through the glass."

"Is that so? Wow." Wild-eye was trying to hide the sarcasm in his voice. "And what interesting conversations do you have with these fish?"

"Well, they mostly don't say anything back. Besides the gulping, all I've really heard them say is food, food, food."

"Yeah, I bet you have. Ok then...next up is Brinn." Wild-eye was slightly annoyed. The first two have been tremendous flops.

~~

"Brinn." he called again. "Is Brinn here?"

A dark haired lady came running up. She was smiling and had a glint in her eyes. Her hair was a little passed the shoulders and she had nice, healthy, curls.

"Brinn?"

"No, I'm Fea." she grabbed Wild-eye's hand, and squeezed it lightly, and shook it.

"Hmm...I called for Brinn, but I see you're on the list and you are Doctor Girlfriend. Alright, show me what you got?"

Fea, winked as if she had been waiting to hear those words. She hopped onto the table, and crossed her legs. Wild-eye waited a moment, as she was just looking at him then looked up towards the sky, letting out the faintest :sigh:

"I'm waiting. What is it that you do?"

Fea turned back to face Wild-eye, and scooted closer.

"I'm going to say this slowly for you. What....is....your....power?"

She grabbed his arm. "Let's leave this snore fest. Come with me on a walk, and I'll tell whatever it is you need to know."

Wild-eye pulled his arm back, and slid his chair back. "No. That's ok, but if you do decide to tell me what your power is, you know where to find me."

He went back and consulted his list, but caught out of the corner of his eye, Fea jumping off the table and heading towards autume. She's so far has the most potetial here...just wish she'd tell me her power. I guess Brinn didn't come, that was Fea...let's see. "Durelin."

~~

Durelin came up to the table, she was holding many cats. Wild-eye couldn't tell how many of them there were. She laid them all out onto the table, and they began twisting and intertwining themselves.

"Please tell me, you don't talk to cats?"

"Of course not. Cats can't talk, silly." Wild-eye was relieved, until..."But they are good listeners! At least they listen to me."

Wild-eye smacked his hand off his forehead. "Whatever, just show me."

"Puddles, go and sit on the nice man's lap. He looks like he could use a bit of cheer. Puddles always makes me smile." Puddles looked at Wild-eye for a second, and then went back to purring with another one of the cats. "Well, they don't listen to me all the time, but they do some of the times....when they feel like it."

"Great. Get your cats off my table, before they claw it up. Formendacil."

~~

The first male Wild-eye had seen thus far came up to the table. He had his chest pushed out and it looked like he was trying to make himself look bigger than he actually was...oh well, thought Wild-eye, maybe he will actually begin to turn around this epic failure so far.

"Greetings, friend." Form boomed. His voice carried, so everyone could hear. "I am Celibateman! Here to save any girl from awkward first dates!"

"I'm really impressed!"...not, he whispered under his breath.

"Yes. It's a very difficult job. I'm never out of work, and it seems like I'm never really home. I remain in constant vigilance!"

"Nice. Enjoy the food." What a mess...just keep going there's bound to be some good heroes here. "Hakon."

~~

Another man came up to the table. He had leaves sprouting all over his arms. "You said you wanted us to demonstrate our powers, right? I figured I'd better be prepared when I was called. See! I grow leaves."

"Yes, I'm very well aware of that." Wild-eye was growing more annoyed. "Do you possibly have any other qualities of a tree...like resilience, or sturdiness?"

"Nope. I just grow leaves."

"What happens to you in the winter?" Wild-eye tried not to laugh, but couldn't stop himself. Hakon didn't look pleased. "Erm...ya, well the breakfast is free. So, go get yourself some. Next I need Inziladun"

~~

Wild-eye was the most excited to see this guy. When Inzil called, he said his super-hero name was Dr. Electron. Wild-eye loved the potential of this guy. First, because Doctor's usually make awesome super-heroes, plus with the name Electron, Wild-eye was sure he could control electricity.

"You have no idea how pleased to see you made it Dr. Electron. I doubt I'll need a demonstration from you. Just for formality, do you control electricity?"

"No. Sorry, I can't do that, but what I can do is tell you precisely when a light bulb is going to blow out."

Wild-eye did a *headdesk*

Inziladun pointed inside the Bed and Breakfast. "Like that light there. 3....2....1....and it's done." The light went out.

"If I ever need a light bulb changed, I'll be sure to call you first." This turning out to be a disaster. "Alright, just give me Lari up here."

~~

A girl with light-brown hair, had her legs crossed indian-style and hovered up to Wild-eye.

"So, you can fly, eh?" said Wild-eye. "Under normal circumstances I would tell you, I think flying is a pretty useless power. But these are not normal circumstances, so right now I think there will be a place for you -"

Lari interrupted. "Oh, I think there's a little misunderstanding. See I can't fly, I hover. I can only hover precisely at 3 feet...not 2 or 5, but 3."

"Riigghht. Why don't you go hover your butt over there? Next I have..."

~~

A lady came racing up to the table. She was, out of breath. "Hey...I hope I'm not too late!?"

"You are?"

"Brinn!" she exclaimed. "aka, Butterfngers, aka The Klutz. Want me to show you this awesome ability I have?"

"That really won't be ne-" but Brinn wasn't listening. She had grabbed a large watermelon from the breakfast table, and hurried back towards Wild-eye.

"Alright...I got it for you ri- woahhh" Brinn had tripped over her own feet and the watermelon smashed off Wild-eye's skull. It broke open, and now he was covered in watermelon guts.

"I'm really, really, sorry. Oh...here let me help you clean off. I got some"

"No don't, you really don't-"

"napkins right here..." she stumbled into Wild-eye and knocked him off his chair. "Oh...no...let me help you up!"

"No! Do not touch me! In fact don't ever touch anything again!"

Brinn began to pout, her lower lip was quivering...maybe he had been just a bit harsh on her. She was just excited about showing off her power. That had to be it, because she seemed like a sweet girl. "I'm sorry. I over-reacted, but please for both of our lives, just don't touch anything."

She scampered off, Wild-eye didn't need to look to tell she knocked over something else, after hearing a crash and more pleads of "Sorry."

~~

"Lommy, you're next."

A young lady approached. She was dressed like a penguin and wearing a gold crown...Probably plastic, thought Wild-eye. He looked at Lommy, scanned the ridiculous penguin outfit she was wearing, and said to her. "I really don't want to know."

"Good!" she replied indignantly. "I only came for the buffet. You better have fish for me."

Wild-eye was furious. This is turning out a disaster. It's alright, just remember your brother. Remember, why you are doing this...this is to stop a great evil in the world.

However, with characters like this, how could he possibly remain calm? A villain is out there killing whoever crosses her, and all these so-called "heroes" are just wasting time.

Wild-eye recomposed himself. "Look. Let's just take 10 minutes? Those of you I haven't called, grab some food, and we'll resume in 10."

(to be continued...)

Last edited by Boromir88; 08-12-2009 at 04:57 PM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote