View Single Post
Old 03-22-2003, 12:56 AM   #32
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I am at a disadvantage, I suppose, having only read the main canon of The Hobbit and LOTR (and a few Letters and about half the Silmarillion about 13 years ago...gone from memory now!). But speaking just from the books I have read, I'd say that what interests me is the method and manner of the Fall of the 'bad guys' such as Saruman. Also Denethor, even though he is not a 'bad' guy. What do they have in common? Well, they're naughty boys who use the Palantir too much! I think the idea of a machine so ancient and so advanced that it provides such an avenue to corruption to even the strongest minds of Middle-Earth--that is an interesting concept. I like to think of the Palantir concept as evil reflected. The 'only what you take with you' concept that also applies in the Realm of the Lady of the Wood. I suppose the concept of the fall interests me more than the actual fallen. The mechanisms of Saruman's and Denethor's falls (although Denethor's 'fall' is into despair, rather than malice and evil deeds) are the most interesting aspects of 'bad guy' concepts to me! Also the efforts of the fallen to rise above their fallen state: i.e. Gollum. My interest is drawn by the struggle, rather than the innate 'badness' of the individual, I suppose. Perhaps I can call it the procession from the fatal flaw, or something equally absurd!

don't mind me! It's too late for me to think straight and another station has taken over my airwaves!

Cheers,
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote