View Single Post
Old 02-14-2002, 04:34 PM   #7
Thingol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thingol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm pretty sure that in the Letters Tolkien says that the straight road is one way. I remember Mithadan saying this in a post that you and I had posted in Durelen, and I remember looking it up somewhere but I can't seem to find it now. The post was about what happened to Frodo, but I can't find the post either. I didn't mean to say that the Valar didn't know about man's feelings about death, what I meant to emphasize was that they didn't understand it. Because they didn't understand the sway that it had over the mind's of men, they could not foresee the extreme reaction that men would have to being exposed to elven immortality. Plus Sauron helped them along once he got to Numenor. Tha Valar were pretty lenient with allowing elves access to the world outside Aman. The elves of Aman probably didn't want to be sundered from the men that they had fought beside during the first age.
Yet the lies that Melkor, the mighty and accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days.
Thingol is offline   Reply With Quote