Thread: Fantasy
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2009, 02:17 PM   #217
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar to davem View Post

It's very possible that I just like having a good discussion with you.
Yes, it's rather like watching a spin doctor work on a politician's errs and mistakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar
I would believe that there are insects in Middle Earth, as we see examples of the midges and neekerbreekers and having poor Grima name 'Worm.' Surely some type of bug - so close to Mordor - would attack the wounds and flesh of the dying on the battlefield.
Where there's spiders, there must be webs, ergo, critters of all sorts to catch and feed upon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem
Thus, a line does exist as to what's acceptable & what isn't - 'Fantasy' as a genre does not = anything goes. We expect certain standards to be maintained, certain boundaries to be upheld.
The justification or explanation of the limitations to published work of any genre is whether this work promulgates or incites hatred towards a person or an identifiable group of people, not whether it falls within or without the moral tenets of a particular ideology or faith. Perhaps you might wish to work on an argument whether this includes Pullman's god or not, since you seem to enjoy bringing up Pullman so often in this discussion.

Quote:
And who determines those 'grounds'? Who decides what questions can be asked & which questions (or perhaps questioners) are verboten?
*sighs* It's either the author's Fairy Godmother or those angels and demons that sit, one on each side, of readers' shoulders.

Quote:
I don't see how an honest depiction of war excludes 'arresting sttrangeness'
Leaving aside that word "honest", the use of which has been refuted many times earlier on this thread to at least my satisfaction, I thought you have been arguing lo! these many posts that Tolkien's depiction of war is strange. Have you changed your mind now or is this just more of your spin doctoring?

Last edited by Bęthberry; 03-18-2009 at 03:37 PM.
Bęthberry is online now   Reply With Quote