View Single Post
Old 02-12-2009, 11:45 AM   #34
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien Aulë

Last night I had was lying in bed and couldn’t get to sleep so I started to jot down some reasons why Aule is the most important Vala. Alright, even though I voted for Tulkas on the bases of him being cool:sarcasm:, my truly favorite Vala is Aule. Even though Aule is the least of the great four Valar, he is, in my mind, the greatest contributor to the Ea.

The first time we hear mention of Aule is in the Ainulindale:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainulindale
Of the fabric of Earth had Aule thought, to whom Illuvatar had given skill and knowledge scarce less than to Melkor; but delight and pride of Aule is in the deed of making, and in the thing made, and neither in possession nor his own mastery; wherefore he gives and hordes not, and is free from care, passing ever on to some new work.
This is the main reason why I like Aule. The passage refers to him as being very industrious, the type of man who is never satisfied with his work, and always looking for something to do. The passage also mentions Melkor in similarity to Aule. Melkor is conniving and very prideful of himself; whereas, Aule is generous and kind (probably the most feeling of the male Valar). I have always thought of Aule as being the complete opposite of Melkor. A “Saruman as he should have been.”

Aule’s works in the early days were some of the greatest he ever did. The great mountain of Taniquetil, upon which the thrones of Manwe and Varda stand, was made out of marble, Iron, Bronze, Gold, and Silver with his own hands. Let’s not forget that all the great mountain ranges are of his making.

Aule labored many ages (I think it was three) and built the city of the gods: Valinor. Building an entire city out of precious gems and ore, now that’s impressive.

Upon Osse’s cementing of the Island of Tol Eressea, Aule gathered the dust from his workshop and laid it on the shores of the island. It was said that the sand sparkled as if it were gold.

He was also a leader in the influence of the Elves save Ulmo (though Ulmo never gave them much knowledge in anything save music). Of Aule did the Elves learn to craft weapons and armor to defend themselves from Melkor’s servants, even though there was no immediate danger in Valinor. Perhaps he had some foresight about the Elves’ destiny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Of Ainur
Of him did the Noldoli, who were the sages of the Eldar and thirsted ever after new lore and fresh knowledge, learned uncounted wealth of crafts, and magic and sciences unfathomed. From his teaching, whereto the elder brought ever their own great beauty of mind and heart and imagining…
The Noldor were also known as the Deep Elves, the people of Aule.

Works of Light
In every attempt to bring light to the world Aule always had a prominent role in the making of the vassals of light. The first were Ringil and Helkar, great lamps which were hung from the pillars of ice that stood at the north and south points of the world (later destroyed by Melkor’s devising). After this, Aule, with the help of Ulmo, made cauldrons for the light from the waters to shine in. However, there was not enough light; ergo, the Two Trees.

The third time that Aule helped, he crafted vassals that caught the nectar of light that flowed from the Trees. This might not seem like an important task, but remember that the nectar of light flowed out of the Trees; and once that nectar was gone the Trees would wane. His vassals made it possible for the nectar to be preserved for more use. However, this was not the greatest of his achievements with the preserving of light. His fourth and last task was to build great carriages that drew the sun and the moon. It is said that the Valar were amazed at his craft.

The coolest out of all Aule’s deeds was the creation of his own stars. It is said in the History of Middle-earth that when Aule heard of the news of the awakening of the elves he dropped his hammer and the sparks from its impact flew heavenward and hung in the sky as stars. He’s a smith and he can make stars? How cool is that!

~~~~~~~~~~

Aule is also one of the few Valar who has a son of prominence. Orome, the great hunter, definitely a dedicated and likable person. Unlike his father, Orome would often go hunting and to war against the creatures of Morgoth.

This brings me to Aule’s greatest labor: the creation of the Dwarves. Last night I was thinking, and it suddenly occurred to me how this story is very much like Abraham and Isaac. Just like Abraham, Aule wished to praise God, Iluvatar in this case, but unlike Abraham, Aule stepped out of place. Was this planned by Iluvatar? Tolkien obviously created Iluvatar as an all knowing all seeing god, so he knew that Aule was endeavoring to create the Dwarves. Was this some sort of test to prove that Aule was not so much like Melkor as were their powers (Hey, Aule has an evil twin! Yet another cool thing about him)? I tend to think so.

Aule surely acts in the correct way when Iluvatar decides to intervene. Here comes the Abraham and Isaac part again, Aule out of his love and submission to the will of Iluvatar attempts to correct his work by destroying. Yet Iluvatar has mercy and intervenes again, giving the Dwarves a will of their own. A very touching story whichever way you look at it; probably, the best chapter in the Silmarillion.

So what are the reasons that you like your Vala? I know I poked at Ulmo once or twice; why is he so dang popular? I’d really like to hear the reason why.