View Single Post
Old 02-08-2009, 11:45 AM   #7
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Just a quick comment, before I slip off to Sunday Mass...

I think there's a bit of unnecessary confusion arising here from Lommy's use of the word "allegory." Now, I will not impinge upon her authorial intent in her original post, so she can correct me if I'm wrong, but as I read it, what she was asking could have been stated in a different way, using the word "theme."

The thing about "allegory" is that is carries specific meaning, and the idea is that an allegory is, more or less, a this-for-that reflection of some other thing that is being put forward, quite deliberately by the story in question, and this putting forward is the chief purpose of the story.

Granted, my definition here may be brought into question, but I think we can sidestep the issue nicely if we just use another word... and since I think the definition I have given is mostly accurate, I'm inclined to argue, with Tolkien, against its use of Tolkien's work, and here's why:

Although a regret for the fading of the old days is prevalent throughout Middle-earth, this very fact is one that argues against any specific work being an allegory. Although this sense of fading splendour is captured from the destruction of Almaren clean through "The New Shadow," it seems to me that in no way can all Tolkien's writing on Middle-earth be considered a unified tale, though the theme is present in all.

Again, it could just be my own sense of the word, but "allegory" seems more applicable to a single work, whereas "theme" seems more appropriate to a body of works, and also sidesteps the issue of whether this is the author's planned browbeaten topic.