View Single Post
Old 02-01-2009, 07:42 AM   #31
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis View Post
The Dwarves seemingly had no power in the Unseen. Perhaps that's why the creatures of the Shadow-world (including the Balrog, the nazgul and the ghosts) were so frightening for the Dwarves?
This seems quite likely, as the dwarves were made as earthly beings by Aulë, and were only adopted as Children by Eru. They weren't made by him, so they didn't get any of the benefits of the other Children. As well as this, if it is true that they reincarnated, then they were probably more bound to the earth itself than elves. While the elves were bound to Arda completely, this also included the spirit world, and if Dwarves didn't go anywhere after they died and just reincarnated then it seems that they were actually stuck on "our side" and couldn't go into the "shadow/light world"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGreg View Post
That is possible. However, you're not mentioning the fact Legolas was also pretty scared when Balrog appeared, was he not?
Well, he knew much more about them than the otherss, and if he was actually Laegolas of the First Age then he had experienced them first hand and seen what they could do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGreg View Post
So the rings had no power over them. Isn't Tom Bombadil described in the same manner in the Elrond's Council? That makes me wonder. What would happen if a dwarf had found The Ring? Would he become invisible? Apparently not, if the quote above is to be trusted. How then did the dwarves not see a person wearing The Ring, like Bilbo? Would they not have the same power Tom Bombadil had?
I don't think that he could be compared to Tom Bombadil as Tom Bombadil definately did have a lot of power against spirits. We all say what he did to the Wight, and what is a Barrow-Wight after all other than a spirit inhabiting old bones. And Tom Bombadil is immortal (or at least, didn't die so far and is still young in body). And in ME, as far as I know, all those who are don't (or can't) die, at least seem to have some internal strength, possibly on the "other side", whether for good or bad.
And Tom Bombadil isn't so "grim" and serious, is he?