View Single Post
Old 10-04-2008, 08:35 PM   #8
Ibrīnišilpathānezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrīnišilpathānezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrīnišilpathānezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
Then again the question is asking about really some of the greatest warrior elf-lords, let's not forget about 'Elf-magic,' because it takes more than being a skilled fighter to kill a Balrog. Also, I've never imagined Dwarves as being the one-on-one single combat type, like the powerful elves.
No, we didn't hear Thorin calling out Bard or Thranduil to take them down in single combat in The Hobbit, did we? The closest thing to that I can think of is Gimli inviting Eomer to get off his horse so he could teach him better manners when speaking of Galadriel. I don't think that the Dwarves lack the courage to do so, but that they are more pragmatic about their odds in warfare. When you're shorter and/or fewer in numbers than just about every other sapient being on the planet, there are some risks you may not be willing to take.

And when it comes to Songs of Power... well, that's something only the Elves and Ainur appear to get into. Though I do wonder if the Dwarves have any tales about mighty feats of Durin the Deathless that they keep to themselves. Hmmm.....