View Single Post
Old 09-05-2008, 07:42 PM   #6
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
Where does the quest begin?

I guess we have a choice of three locations– Bree, Rivendell and Lórien.
Why not all three? Very clever Middle-earth roleplays have characters starting at separate points by way of prologue chapters, and they merge at the starting point for the quest. After all, the members of the Fellowship of the Ring came from dissparate regions, met in Rivendell, and then departed for their quest.

In this manner, backstories can be developed for each character prior to the quest without the requisite flashback scenes thrown annoyingly into the quest itself (ie., "Glorfinrondel fell in into a deep reverie as he gazed at the dying embers of the camp fire, his troubled mind harkening back to his carefree days as pool boy in Menegroth. Ah, the grotto of Menegroth! So many lithe figures splashing about, undulating provocatively beneath the dark waters," etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrîniðilpathânezel
That said, I might suggest that Bree is a logical starting point.
As I stated in the "thread that started this whole debacle", Bree is the quintessential starting point for all roleplay in Middle-earth, and it doesn't seem to matter what race one is, they all seem to be at ease in the Painted Pony (even though an Elf wouldn't be caught dead among that riff-raff). Some more canonically correct roleplayers do not have their Elf actually hanging out in the Inn, but atop a branch of a majestic tree just outside of Bree, where he/she greets the other characters with an appropriate "Mae govannen, mellon! Elen síla lúmenn’ omentielvo!" (or some such greeting culled from an online Sindarin dictionary).