View Single Post
Old 06-06-2008, 08:56 AM   #30
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Of course, then he'll be really happy, as he spent lots of time trying to find out whether any heirs still exist. But here we must once again grasp the logic of the tale. It simply could not have happened. Or, if even that happened and he were slain and the shards taken, there would have needed to be some other heir elsewhere, and the shards will be re-gained (very probably, the Orcs who would slay him will not even have the chance to return to... wherever they'd come from, or let's say, had that happened for example in Moria, then some Fellowship who will travel this way a long time after that, will find a strange skeleton with broken sword - the Orcs of course ignored some useless broken sword and took only what seemed valuable - and suddenly one of them, young Arasomething, would suddenly yell "Oh, it must be my relative"...).
Must we now?

I understand that of course this could not happen because then there would be no story, but I doubt that one could truly use this as an argument.

When we read the story we cannot include such things, that would make the story close to pointless. Just like the characthers within the book we must assume that there is a definite possibility that Aragorn could be killed in combat, so would he bring these shards with him abroad?

He clearly did it in his "homelands", but I would argue that the dangers where lesser in that area and he actually did not need much more than skill and a long knife (which is what Narsil more or less was) also there were other rangers around. Now when he goes abroad it is hard to say if he would risk carrying it to unknown lands, where he could loose it. I deffinitly think that he would not bring it to Gondor, simply because to many people knew what it was and he was not yet ready to assume the role of king.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote