View Single Post
Old 06-06-2008, 08:35 AM   #29
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrīnišilpathānezel View Post
To me, the more logical presumption is that the shards were kept by all of Aragorn's forefathers. Note that in appendix A, it is said that Elrond "delivered to him the heirlooms of his house" when he told the fatherless Aragorn of his true identity and lineage. It would make more sense, I think, if the heirlooms of the Numenorean kings had been kept by their descendants, until Arathorn died untimely and the two-year-old Aragorn was taken into Elrond's house for fostering and protection.
Yes, that's right. I always thought it was that way. And my opinion on the films is something best left asleep

Quote:
And if he had made a habit of this for a long time, it would have been dangerous. Imagine how Denethor would have felt about Thorongil if it had been discovered that he was toting about the shards of Narsil!
Well that remains a question, however I believe he may have as well kept it somewhere hidden (and cf. my post above). This is on the edge, though. But then, being so long so far ("in the lands of Rhun and Harad..."), one would really wonder what about the

Quote:
Or, if in his travels, Aragorn had been slain by orcs when he was alone, thus either losing the heirloom, or having it fall into the hands of the Enemy (who might then put two and two together and realize that he had managed to kill a still living heir of Isildur).
Of course, then he'll be really happy, as he spent lots of time trying to find out whether any heirs still exist. But here we must once again grasp the logic of the tale. It simply could not have happened. Or, if even that happened and he were slain and the shards taken, there would have needed to be some other heir elsewhere, and the shards will be re-gained (very probably, the Orcs who would slay him will not even have the chance to return to... wherever they'd come from, or let's say, had that happened for example in Moria, then some Fellowship who will travel this way a long time after that, will find a strange skeleton with broken sword - the Orcs of course ignored some useless broken sword and took only what seemed valuable - and suddenly one of them, young Arasomething, would suddenly yell "Oh, it must be my relative"...).
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote