View Single Post
Old 05-14-2008, 04:39 PM   #118
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron the White View Post
No I did not miss it ... or overlook it ... or ignore it. It would be more accurate and inclusive to say that the Motion Picture Academy did not bestow its higher awards on any fantasy based film regardless of its medium or format until ROTK. That applied to animated gems like FANTASIA or PINNOCHIO and to non-animated films such as WIZARD OF OZ and ET. Jackson's ROTK sweep of 11 out of 11 nominations into awards, including Best Film of the Year, rewrote that particular truism of the Oscars.
There have been several fantasies that have been nominated for Academy awards, like for Best Picture (Wizard of Oz, Dr. Doolittle, A Clockwork Orange, Star Wars, Babe, The Ten Commandments...okay, I'm joking about that one), but did not win (but won Oscars in other categories); however, no full-length cartoon was ever nominated for a major Oscar until 1991 (Beauty and the Beast). And, no, I don't believe Bakshi's LotR warranted a Best Picture nomination in any case.

By the way, were you aware that only one G-Rated film has ever won Best Picture Oscar? It was the musical Oliver!