Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Full predictions of the Daily Star Sword's sport correspondent

GROUP A
FORNOST
MICHEL DELVING
RIVENDELL (H)
ROMENA

Rivendell are the clear favourites here; the charm and financial leverage of their home city (or strictly speaking, home home) has got them something close to an all-star squad. (Are the twins worth their caps though? Or in by nepotism?)

The second strongest team is Romena, a grizzled Akallabeth and Last Alliance League victor with a glittering striker.

An upset could however be mounted by the veteran, if low-budget, Fornost under the experienced management of Mr. Aime Hunter. Michel Delving? Michel Diving more like. They'll use their endemic crowd-pleasing to get away with a lot of cheating, but still, whenever have Halflings proved a threat outside the regionals?

OK, last World Cup. But they had Gandalf (who has now let the bucks draw him to Elrond's side) and they were on anabolic pipeweed. I say:

WINNER: Rivendell
SECOND: Romena
UPSET: Fornost
RELEGATE: Michel Delving

GROUP B
BREELAND
EDORAS (H)
MIRKWOOD
TOL-IN-GAURHOTH

Tol-in-Gaurhoth have a massive, captive, fan-base, the most sophisticated tactics in the tournament, and huge stars onside. But will they let over-analysis and celebrity run away with them? I reckon the overconfident wolfies might lose some gloss here. I hear they've had recruitment trouble as well.

Mirkwood and Edoras both have dream-team offensive capabilities. Despite Edoras's pair of excellent strikers, Mirkwood has three exceptional ones, and overall a more solid quality (even if "Gazza" Galion's skills in defence aren't what they were).

Breeland...nice try lads. Your fans' chanting should be quite funny. I say:

WINNER: Mirkwood
SECOND: Tol-in-Gaurhoth
UPSET: Edoras
RELEGATE: Breeland

GROUP C
ALQUALONDE
DORIATH (H)
FORMENOS
ISENGARD

I have little to add to my coverage above. Go get 'em boys! Your strategy can do with work to be honest - Cel Curu n' Caran should be on the midfield, while Maglor's better tested in defence - but your skill is The Best. Here's hoping the White Lady shows off her legs and scores too...

Doriath are the other respectable team; Isengard could try Maiarin tricks; Alqualonde will fare no better than Galdor's Mithlond side did last year. I swear:

WINNER: FOOOORRRRRRRRMENOS!!!
SECOND: Doriath
UPSET: Isengard
RELEGATE: Alqualonde

GROUP D
LOTHLORIEN
NARGOTHROND
OSGILIATH (H)
UMBAR

Two classes here, simply: the Elder children, and, way out of their league, the younger.

Captains Galadriel and Finrod should generate an interesting spark of sibling rivalry. Finrod has a way better quality side, but Galadriel really, really plays to win. Felagund's a golden boy but Gally's gold has steel in it. No upset likely here.

WINNER: Lothlorien
SECOND: Nargothrond
RELEGATE: Osgiliath, Umbar

GROUP E
EREBOR
GONDOLIN (H)
GONDOR
TUNA

Team play? Pshah, what counts here is individual style, and that is why Gondolin will win, with Sharpboot top scorer. Captain Turgon's boys are lucky to have acquired the temperamental genius back from Angband. They know he's open to bids and they'll make sure and leave him opportunities for glory this time...or else.

Tuna has plenty of quality, but a typically hesitant strategy from cautious captain Finarfin. Gondor and Erebor both rely on heavyweight key players, but Gondor only has one of real note: "Swanny" Imrahil; Erebor can call on Beorn and Smaug.

WINNER: Gondolin
SECOND: Tuna
RELEGATE: Erebor, Gondor

GROUP F
AMON RHUD
ARMENELOS
HELM'S DEEP
TANIQUETIL (H)

Taniquetil have the biggest budget in the game, and tend to destabilise the league, ever since mysterious oligarch Eru Illuvatavich bought them up as a side business for his line in universes. They run a risk against really veteran and skilled sides - Tol-in-Gaurhoth, Formenos, Gondolin, most of all probably Angband - but are otherwise untouchable.

Armenolos have a decent standard and a rightly feared striker. Helm's Deep are typically full of last minute surprise moments. Amon Rhud's captain Forweg is struck by slease allegations and Androg is their only quality player. They're down for sure.

WINNER: Taniquetil
SECOND: Armenolos
UPSET: Helm's Deep
RELEGATE: Amon Rhud

GROUP G
HITHLUM
MINAS TIRITH
MORDOR (H)
MORIA

Hithlum should waltz this senza problemo - the rest are regional heroes like Moria (never scored major victory outside the Azog Memorial League) and teams of frankly siphoned talent. Still, even though Minas Tirith looks like a glorified sub-bench with all the royal sparkle bought off elsewhere, lots of their players are a safe pair of hands; Denethor II, Boromir I, Mardil, their stewardship's just legendary, they can cope with trouble.

Mordor as one of my colleagues observed has gone from hero to zero - though the Witch King has strategic talent, his minions just won't be up for the long-haul.

WINNER: Hithlum
SECOND: Minas Tirith
RELEGATE: Mordor, Moria

GROUP H
ANGBAND (H)
ANNUMINAS
BRETHIL
VALIMAR

Angband. The other big hitter after Taniquetil, financially. They bought the Sharpboot from Gondolin and they sold him back, trading him in for an exceptional Balrog training and recruiting programme. What they lack in strategic thought they make up in brutal endurance, might, and physicality. Our boys and Gondolin might get grudge match inspiration against these guys, and Taniquetil could give them a straightforward ride, but here they will slaughter their opposition. Valimar for the runner up here. The other two...Men? Men in this situation are toootally weak.

WINNER: Angband
SECOND: Valimar
RELEGATE: ...who are those two again?