View Single Post
Old 05-10-2008, 06:49 PM   #108
SteamChip
Newly Deceased

SteamChip is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
this is IT

Lets put it this way, If I had a little bit of cash, I would buy up the Bakshi film, knock off the last minute or so then finish it with another 90 minutes.

Of course Id have to revoice some of the dialogue, actors dying and so forth to have the new sound fit in with continuing characters with what went on before. But as far as the animation, characters, men without pants, barbie Gladreal, etc I’d keep it as faithful as possible to the original, warts and for continuity. It’s Lord of the Rings and no one else at the time was ambitious enough to take on that project.

Also, Rankin/Bass' at least TRIED to pick up the story with return of the King, it certainly is cartoon Bigfoot style change (as opposed to more realistic figure proportions), but more consistent quality and aimed at a younger audience but its Lord of the Rings. The part about them mixing it up at the crossroads in Mordor seemed more faithful to the book if I remember correctly.

The Hobbit, prelude to them all, also done in the Bigfoot style (done by the same Rankin/Bass' studio), so if one overlooks a few gaps, watching the Hobbit, Bakshis Lord of the Rings finally Return of the King , there is a start to finish animated story of the entire 4 book series.

Come to think of it, no need to finish, Rankin/Bass' already did, hmm spend my money on something else then.
SteamChip is offline   Reply With Quote