View Single Post
Old 05-10-2003, 11:00 AM   #53
Bill Ferny
Shade of Carn Dûm

Bill Ferny has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

Quote:
You're interpreting everything I say in a rather scary way
Hmm. Well help me out then. I thought you were saying that, basically, morality is relative.

Quote:
I mean, who else will it affect if you you eat a lot and don't get on a diet? Only you.
Except, of course, for the millions of people who continue to pay for the affects of an overweight and out of shape society. If I died of a heart attack today because of my gluttony, I know of at least five other people and a cat that would be directly affected because of such “a little” thing like a bad diet.

Metaphysically speaking, all our actions either improve or corrupt reality, no matter if it’s a dirty little secret that nobody knows about, or a casual, friendly smile to a stranger. That’s a pretty big responsibility. I see my sins, no matter how small or private, as corrupting the world, adding to the pain and suffering and despair, not just of me, but of everyone with which I share this earth. We have this picture of ourselves as objects set in front of the world, like the world is a photographer’s backdrop. The truth of the matter is we are integral parts of that world; in fact, the human person is the apex and microcosm of all creation. It is our actions, big and small, that shape the world.

Quote:
I certainly didn't mean not to interfere with other peoples' lives at all. I meant on the level of moral standards
It is on this level that all law interferes with other people’s lives, or at least ethics.

Nyneve,

First of all, I apologize for you being called odd (though I don’t remember where). Such a criticism should only be reserved for me. My question regarding lightning struck mud was not to the validity of the theory, but as to its use in the above discussion. The bible tells us that we were made from dust, and to dust we will return, so I guess your scientist isn’t too far from the Judeo-Christian tradition. However, how we were created has no bearing what-so-ever on what we are, our purpose in creation, or the nature of good and evil.

Dwelling on the lowliness of the human person can be a good exercise in humility and lend insight into our lives, but when it negates the inherent dignity of the human person, it commits a grave error.

Quote:
I mean there are a lot of opinions about good and evil and we will never no what is true
I disagree. Those hierarchies of being do exist in an objective reality, and the human person has the power to know them (the Thomistic self-evident proposition, without which all pursuit of knowledge and all human endeavor would be pointless).