View Single Post
Old 04-06-2008, 01:36 PM   #94
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sauron the White has just left Hobbiton.
Rikae said

Quote:
So, are you now accepting the idea that the illustration is misleading, by agreeing that all the bridges were cut?
no
Are we clear about that now?

In my last post before this one I said very clearly

Quote:
I am not arguing that the main bridge was not destroyed. I am saying that it was not one of the bridges which could have been cut because the illustration Tolkien gave us - which is far more detailed than any text description with words - shows a substantial structure built on thick plyons and not a supsension bridge upheld by ropes to be cut.

The quibbling about methodology is a very minor point that some here seem to cling onto like grim death. The point of this thread was a far larger one: when you are being attacked by air by a fire breathing dragon it is not the best course of action, indeed it is foolish, to spend your resources destroying the main bridge to the mainland as it does nothing to defeat the attacker and is in fact limiting your own routes of escape.

If Smaug wanted to go to the ground in Laketown, he had more room on the docksides than he did on the bridge. That is clear from the detailed illustration JRRT himself did of Laketown. However, there was no reason for Smaug to go to the ground in Laketown. In fact, a smart attack strategy dictated just the opposite for Smaug. Use your speed in the air and distance from the people on the ground who are attempting to kill you. Why get closer so they can fight you better? Stay in the air where you have the advantage. Nothing in the text says Smaug intended to land in Laketown.

davem
does that second illustration - the rougher one - show a covered bridge?

from Rune

Quote:
I don't understand the problem you have with the word "cut". . . you dont actually "cut" trees yet we have no problem using the phrase.
JRRT says that the people of Laketown have "little time" to prepare for Smaug. It makes some sense that you could cut the ropes on a suspension bridge in "little time" and down the bridge. It does not make sense that you could down that much larger bridge regardless of the verb you want to use. Yes, you can cut down a tree. In how much time with a more primitive saw? Now cut down all those thick pillars, or enough of them supporting that bridge. Now go beyond that and destroy it. All in "little time" as JRRT says they had.

It simply is not the best writing in the book. It does not hold up without a ton of other assumptions and a great leap of faith.

Last edited by Sauron the White; 04-06-2008 at 02:14 PM.
Sauron the White is offline   Reply With Quote