View Single Post
Old 03-24-2008, 09:38 AM   #34
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron the White View Post
But sitting in a theater without the text there is no problem at all with what is depicted. You say its all special effects and not acting. I did not see it that way. I looked at it as a proper blend of both that produced a very memorable scene.

I wonder how Jackson and company would respond to that? I know if it was me, what my response would be. "Damned if I do and damned if I don't. I do it the way Tolkien wrote it and they savage me. I do it my way and they still savage me. Screw 'em".

But thats just me.
One of my points is that they didn't do it the way Tolkien wrote it because they completely missed out on why the scene ends with that little conversation with Sam. If you wish to continue to say that they followed the scene exactly, feel free to reiterate your opinion, as I have reiterated mine here.

The other main point, which apparently I do need to repeat, is that my dissatisfaction with the scene was with the scene as scene and not as book adaptation. It happened as I sat in the darkened cinema experiencing the film the first time. I didn't bring the books with me into the cinema and I wasn't sitting there, finger following line after line, with a pen flashlight, desperately, madly, fiendishly trying to find fault with this upstart New Zealander. I was really, really hoping to be entertained and for the most part for the first film I was. But after that scene, I might have thought what a shame that Peter Jackson didn't paste "WHAM BAM POW" across the screen in case anyone missed the point about how scary and powerful this Ring thing is. Holy fletcaves, Fletgirl!

As I said earlier, there are many who are happy with such scenes, and let them be happy, including both StW and skip. But your pleasure with the scene does not mitigate against my displeasure. You obviously got more of your money's worth than me, well done!

Last edited by Bęthberry; 03-24-2008 at 09:47 AM.
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote