View Single Post
Old 03-22-2008, 03:06 AM   #13
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Hmmn. Two things: I should say Lucas has been a strong influence on Jackson. When I saw the theatrical release of The Fellowship of the Ring, I was strongly reminded of Star Wars –which I like, so I don't mean that as an insult.

I wouldn't call subtlety the strong point of either. I thought Jackson's films were very good overall– arguably the best fantasy films ever made– but now that you mention it, the characterizations are done in broader strokes than in the original, and I think that does contribute to a Star Wars-esque comic book feel.

But look, StW, you've made this films-and-books-are-different-mediums argument over and over... and to be brutally frank, I think you're using a bit of a "straw-man" tactic– is anyone saying that an adaptation has to be identical to the source?

What people are saying is that they would have preferred Jackson to stick closer to the original story. Some think this would have actually made the films better– others would have liked them to be more faithful anyway. Like it or not, fidelity to the original is something people tend to want in adaptations. It's not unique to this forum.