View Single Post
Old 02-24-2008, 04:01 PM   #1
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Tuor: the Anti-Turin

I think Tuor may be intended to be a contrast to the tragic Turin, since I see a lot of parallels between the two characters. I'll list the ones I can think of; maybe other Downers can find some more.

Similarities:
Turin was loved by Elf princess, and consequently was hated by Gwindor / Tuor was loved by Elf princess, and consequently was hated by Maeglin (right name? I always get all the "m" names confused)

Turin gets cool, distinctive, symbolic sword and armor (Gurthang + Dragon-helm) / Tuor gets cool sword and armor (at Vinyamar)

Eaterlings overrun Turin's country, and he turns outlaw after being taken in by the elves / Tuor turns outlaw for similar reasons in similar circumstances

Turin is closely associated with Elvish citadel (Nargothrond) / Tuor is closely associated with Elvish citadel (Gondolin)

Turin has his life orchestrated by a Vala (Melkor) / Tuor has his life orchestrated by a Vala (Ulmo)

Differences:
Tuor actually marries the Elf princess

Turin causes the destruction of Nargothrond by preventing the removal of the bridge, whereas Tuor saves the inhabitants of Gondolin

Turin is manipulated by a BAD vala, whereas Tuor is used by a GOOD vala (Ha ha, I can't help thinking of Wizard of Oz: "Are you a good witch or a bad witch?")

Turin has a creepy dragon on his helmet, whereas Tuor's gear is swan-themed

There must be more. Come on, smart people. Get to work.