View Single Post
Old 02-19-2008, 07:14 PM   #7
ArathornJax
Haunting Spirit

ArathornJax has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe Merry and Pippin

What are your general impressions of Merry and Pippin and their role in the story?

I have always thought that Merry and Pippin were extra baggage until they were seized t the Falls of Rauros and taken by the Uruk's there. I think that journey began the transformation of them as characters, or let us as readers see them more in depth. I also think that at this point the wisdom of Gandalf in trusting to friendship proved itself over a great Elf Lord in the company. Here Merry and Pippin allowed Frodo and Sam to be able escape with the Orcs and Uruk's taking Merry and Pippin and high tailing it towards Fangorn.

However, I don't think Merry and Pippin changed that much yet. They have a lot of fun at Isengard and the foolishness of Pippin the Orthanc Stone shows that they are still kinda of treating this as a journey.

I think the other area where they really grew up there experiences from when Pippin looked into the Stone forward. Merry's relationship with Theoden and with Dernhelm climaxing with the stabbing of the Witch King brought tenderness and the horrors of war to him. I think this experience changed Merry and his exposure to Theoden and the army of Rohan brought him leadership experience that he personally needed.

Pippin had his moments in Minis Tirith, especially in saving Faramir. His experience before the Black Gate in killing the Troll and coming to terms with what he thought was his own end, rounded him off.

I think both reflect the sense of a solider going off to war treating it like a holiday or an adventure. Then the realities of it begin to hit and they begin to take their toll on the individual. This can be devestating or refining depending on the support and healing they receive. Merry and Pippin were able to heal and be tempered from their experiences and exposures.

However, one thing that I really like about Merry and Pippin is that though they mature in the story, their base character traits stay the same. The retain their sense of humor and who they are. They are tempered, but they are themselves and that is refreshing I think to see. People go through major struggles yet still remain their positive and refreshing outlook (and humor).

Not sure if that is what people have in mind, but I just kinda of went with what I know of the story, the characters and my own inferences. Overall, I enjoy Merry and Pippin and the role they play in the story.

Edit: I will answer one question that is specific. Thain and Master of Buckland were inheirited positions, and so Merry and Pippin would have received those positions when their fathers passed away. I think their experiences in the War of the Ring refined them and made them ready for their roles. Anything else would be speculation as Tolkien never touched on that aspect.

Last edited by ArathornJax; 02-19-2008 at 07:17 PM.
ArathornJax is offline   Reply With Quote