Thread: Gothmog as Pat
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2008, 06:15 AM   #37
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis View Post
I don't deny that MOS had a high rank - probably he was the highest ranking MORTAL man in Mordor. I still think he had to bow even to the least of the Nine, though. The immortal Nazgul were entirely on another level, and while any mortal was replaceable, the nazgul were not.
Indeed and I never contradicted that. This is obvious. But the fact that MoS, or a non-Nazgul Gothmog would have to bow in front of even the least of the Nine does not have anything to do with the fact that a non-Nazgul Gothmog could be second in rank after the WK. If Sauron appointed him for that, then he simply is and the eight remaining Nazgul have different appointment, meanwhile.

Concerning the parallels you draw, with good will I find them unstable. You cannot compare Sauron and WK and put WK to one place in Barad-Dur and to one place in Minas Morgul, no, I think this is not a good way to illustrate this.

But anyway, if there was a person who was similar to MoS, only he was not mere administrator but also a soldier and an officer, then I believe the Orcs, Easterlings, Southrons and all others could obey him with no problems. This is the point about having the authority from Sauron himself - for example if a Man came there, but said "I am the Mouth of Sauron", well, that surely means something for all the allies. Of course, this is also about personal "charisma" (in WK's case, rather fear), but if someone - and no matter who he was in real - named Gothmog (for the intellectuals knowledgeable about history at least a little bit, the name itself gives the feeling of authority) had also at least some personal charisma, well, then, at the moment the Easterling, Southron etc. generals are told (before the battle by Sauron or by WK himself, probably) "this is your superior, obey him or die", no problem.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote