Thread: Gothmog as Pat
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2008, 01:33 PM   #29
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis View Post
So, most likely, it was NOT a name received at birth. IMHO Gothmog II earned his name as a reward by his long service to the Dark Lord. And that more likely makes him a nazgul, than one of the mortal servants. Too grand a name, probably given by Sauron himself.
If you look up I believe I proposed another option, and that's that he gave the name to himself. For a barbarian leader, that wouldn't be unimaginable; and also, look at the parallel with Mouth of Sauron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis
But I have a suspicion, that Khamul actually translates as "Eastern Shadow" "Kha-" like in "Khand" meaning "East" .
Huh? May I ask where did you take the assumption that Khand means East? As far as I know from all Elven languages, "east" is Rómen or Rhun, respectively, but Khand, no way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis
Alternatively, he could have been a mortal Man, but I doubt that in the city of the Ringwraiths a motral Man could hold a higher position than 6 of the resident nazgul. Also I doubt that Easterling and Southron allies would have been happy to bow to a mortal underling.
And what about Mouth of Sauron? He was high in rank, and I believe if Gothmog was a Man, he would be probably something like MoS. And it's not unimaginable to see Easterlings and so bowing to him... and another thing; the Nazgul did not often lead the armies to war. Except for WK, who was leader also in another fields, there is no remark about the others leading armies. And we know the Nazgul were flying above Pelennor (and maybe were somewhere else as well at that time), but the second in rank after WK could have been some non-Nazgul Gothmog without any problems.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote