Thread: Lazy Nazgul
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2008, 09:23 AM   #40
Gordis
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gordis is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
That's really an interesting theory, and a good one also. Nothing in the books, as far as I am aware, says that the Ring really worked this way, but nothing also says that it didn't and the theory is believable at least.
Thank you, Legate.
I think it stands to reason that the Ring was operating and operated by Osanwe. It had no buttons on it, after all - if one wished to give it a command, it was an act of mind and will. And the Ring did affect the mind of the user (or bearer) and it enabled a competent user to read minds of other ring-wielders.
The idea that the ring emitted its signal only with a target "in sight" is only a guess, but I think it explains a lot.

Quote:
I like the analysis of the two Nazgul - it's interesting how this brings some information about the individual Nazgul. In fact, it will make an interesting thread to try to find what we can collect about every individual Ringwraith, to give them some - though only very little - personality. Hmm...
I will be happy to start such a thread, based on LOTR, HOME 6-8, UT and the Reader Companion info. But will it be interesting for the people around here? I know nobody here yet.
Also, my preliminary estimate is that it will give us too little... except of course on Khamul and the WK, and that it will entail some conjecture as well.

Quote:
probably they are other Nazgul than Khamul or WK (maybe even these "losers" from Bree? ), and they are flying, which is, I can't actually explain why, but I think different than if they were riding on the ground. They probably cannot concentrate much when flying anyway - less than on a horse, probably
They were probably some of the lesser nazgul: in early March 3019 both the WK and Khamul were probably quite busy preparing their respective fortresses for the coming war. I think Khamul did return to Dol Guldur and led the abortive attack on Lorien on March 15.

As for flying - it is interesting to note that the nazgul only got their Fell Beasts two months ago at best - maybe even more recently:

It was no doubt at the end of 1418 that Sauron (S. likely aided by Angmar) bethought him of the winged mounts; and yet withheld them, until things became almost desperate and he was forced to launch his war in haste.-Marquette MSS 4/2/36 (The Hunt for the Ring) p.263

Maybe they were training over Dead Marches? Perhaps they were too intent on just staying in the saddle to look around much?
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote