View Single Post
Old 01-23-2008, 10:38 AM   #48
Meriadoc1961
Wight

Meriadoc1961 has just left Hobbiton.
I agree that whether or not Aragorn was present in the throne room of Gondo was irrelevant. Gimli was being disrespectful by sitting in the Steward's chair. Aragorn suffered his banner to be flown during the height of the Battle of the Pelennor when it appeared the Men of the West would fall, and did so to offer encouragemnt and to remind the people what they were fighting for, but he immediately had it furled following the victory before the gates. He would not even enter the city except in disguise as a Ranger from the North, and he only did so then because he was needed to heal the maimed, the sick and the wounded for "The hands of the King are the hands of a healer, and so shall the rightful heir be known."

Aragorn, Lord of Gondor in exile, would not deign to sleep within the city's walls, the city of which he was King, while the War of the Ring was still being fought and waged, and yet we are supposed to believe that it was perfectly acceptable for Gimli to sit in the seat of the Steward of Gondor, the seat of one who had just died, while his heir's life was still hanging in the balance? I do not believe so. It was totally disrespectful. It is just another mark of shame upon our own society that has become so decadent and disrespectful that the coarsest of language and conduct is viewed as acceptable, and decorum and good manners are scoffed at.

Remember, too, that Frodo himself felt uncouth because he and those from the Shire did not observe the Standing Silence before dining. Frodo was embarrassed. And yet these men of Faramir's company did this even while foraying in the wilderness of Ithilien away from the city. If that was expected of them under those harsh conditions, do any of us honestly believe that the men of Gondor, the Guards of the Citadel of Minas Tirith, would have done or said nothing while a dwarf just kicked back and smoked while seated in the very chair of their just deceased fallen leader?

When President Kennedy was assassinated in 1963 even the just sworn in President Johnson waited a few days before anyone was allowed to touch and remove the rocking chair of the nation's fallen leader, JFK, from the Oval Office. If we in the United States could show such honor to the dead, I see not why a nation that had existed for millenia, with its ancient, high origins and purpose, would do any less.

What Jackson did with Gimli is completely crass and tasteless.

Merry

Last edited by Meriadoc1961; 01-23-2008 at 10:41 AM.
Meriadoc1961 is offline   Reply With Quote