View Single Post
Old 01-20-2008, 07:58 PM   #23
Parmastahir
Wight

Parmastahir has just left Hobbiton.
The Might's Best Worst Illustration

For your consideration and comment per a request of me from The Might, an unused (for reasons which will become apparent even without the obvious error in the artwork) illustration for a Tolkien calendar (see attachment).

I appreciate davem's comments and find what is wrong with many of the bad (or worst) illustrations in them. It is easy to be critical of the illustrators (justly or not) when their concept of Middle-earth fails to match ours. The imagery conjured up in our minds' eyes by Tolkien's masterful prose can never be matched by an illustrator's ... no matter how good they are or how close they come to what we have seen we have become lost in the books. In spite of that, I have collected well over 200 Tolkien calendars and I very much enjoy the attempts the hundreds of artists have made.

However, some are wrong (or, in the vernacular, "That just ain't right!") In "The Last Stewards", the prostitutes on the left, Aragorn's disinterest in the Sceptre of Numenor, and the inattentive rudeness of the apparently bored clowns on the left (what could possibly be more important to discuss at that moment??) "just ain't right!"

Away from The Green Hill Country,

Parmastahir
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UNKNOWN1980CalendarIllustration.jpg (55.6 KB, 1254 views)