View Single Post
Old 01-14-2008, 06:01 PM   #140
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Oh, dear. The same-old same-old.

The basic fact is, Sauron, that the script dumbed down Tolkien. You can complain about elitism all you want- but the fact remains that people who can't tell the difference are, well, dumb. I don't care what dumb people think. I don't care what people who have never read the books think. I don't care what opinions people may hold about the movies if they're too dumb (or lazy) to understand the books. It matters to ME, and to Davem and to many, many other people who can tell the difference between fine Bordeaux and Thunderbird.

We simply don't care if PJ pleased the mob. He didn't please us. This is not a plebiscite: we don't have to yield to the plebs just because they outnumber us.

Jackson and Walsh and Boyens have already proven they don't understand Tolkien and are thoroughly incompetent at adapting him (which is NOT the same thing as writing a script that pleases the mob/the Hollywood twits). So why should those of us who appreciate Tolkien's subtleties not regard this Hobbit project, especially the fan-fic 'sequel,' with dread- even if we are a minority?