View Single Post
Old 12-19-2007, 10:42 PM   #40
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might View Post
I mean RotK was one movie and that's one large novel, with three books in it. TH is much smaller and simply there isn't enough going on to make that possible.
I really, really hope they don't split it up. I am glad there is a balance of 'knowledgable' authority and money into this at the moment, (because golden compass was simply ruined and elements of mutliple books being missmatched was disastrous), but I've seen what happens when they take shorter works and try to split them. It's not pretty, and you go home with an ill feeling in your stomach and mind.

If they do split it, question is ultimately, where? There really isn't an ultimate cut off point in the book, simply if you think hard enough, because Tolkien didn't intend The Hobbit to be a series. At first he wasn't even sure of having LoTR connected, but thankfully that worked out . What makes it different is this, LoTR has points in between works, because of it's sheer size and effect. It's something that fits wonderfully well with such a work, with TH? No, not really.

I kindof understand adding some material at the end, to give the audience (those who haven't read LoTR yet, or are fuzzy) an indication as to how the two are related. With films, it is pretty much standard practice (as is seen at the beginning of FoTR).

The good thing I am happy about now is, if and when it comes out, I can take my mum and not have to explain it, since she's read TH and remembers it quite well. (Sorry, I am very happy at least about this... ).
Hopefully this is true with the general audience that sees The Hobbit, that they have read TH in their childhood, or taken a taste of it at least once, to get the warm and fuzzy feeling (or inevitably, the sore ear and jaw from having to explain it, thus leading to tiresome but enjoyable conversations... ) of seeing some form of respect towards it.

I dunno though, The Hobbit is absolutely one of my favourites, something I really cherish, I just hope that it is given more consideration in the time coming.

Last edited by THE Ka; 12-19-2007 at 10:46 PM.
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote