View Single Post
Old 12-11-2007, 08:45 PM   #9
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiwendil View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethberry

One obviously intriguing question would be why Tolkien produced this story in so many forms, particularly in both verse and prose. Was Doom such an important theme to him?

Certainly Beren & Luthien seems to have been a particularly important story to him. And though one must always be wary of the biographical connection, it is certainly worthy of note that he had the name 'Luthien' inscribed on her tombstone.
Actually, it is on "their" tombstone, as the one stone marks the shared grave.

I'm probably the least likely persona on this site to choose biographical interpretations, as any number of my posts over the years can attest to. Carpenter provides the biographical tidbit about Edith dancing which has inspired legions of fans to see a connection, but frankly I think a story of such a great Saga and so teeming with themes and links to the rest of the Legendarium must provide fruitful avenues for other areas of discussion. What does it mean to say that as Luthien looked upon Beren doom fell upon her and she loved him? (Yes, I understand the literal consequence, that she forsakes her elven immortality, but there's more to this story than that.) Love is not what dooms Turin.

So what's with the Doom Raiders?