View Single Post
Old 11-18-2007, 04:53 PM   #931
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Javan

Javan welcome the company of the young soldier. Léof had not been in an exactly sociable mood all afternoon. He had accepted Javan's apology, of course, but there had been little talking afterwards and no friendly banter. So Javan was ready for something to turn his mind to instead of brooding on Léof unreasonable behavior, and this newcomer was perfect for such a thing.

He seemed an easy going chap who didn't mind abrupt questions or talking with someone younger than himself. This was a good trait among grown ups, Javan told himself. There was nothing more annoying or bothersome than a stuck up grown up, because not only did one feel small and unnecessary, but one also had to keep quiet and do what the stuck up grown up wanted, or else get in trouble.

But this guardsman, or soon to be one, was not like that at all.

“I am afraid I have to admit that I do not know too much of your Lord Eodwine,” Matrim asked as they put the horses into stalls. “I mean, what is he like? Is he good to work for?”

Javan took the bridle off of Æðelhid's horse and exited the stall, fastening the latch after himself. He turned towards Matrim. “I think he's nice, but I don't know much about lords and all that. He's let me stay on, but my older brother's his right hand man, so that may have something to do with it. He gave me thirty days to prove myself.”

“Did you?” Matrim asked, with a smile.

“Well, I'm still here,” Javan said, but his brows knit. “I was supposed to stay in the stable for a month, but then I disobeyed my older brother and he said I couldn't work with the horses until I proved myself trustworthy, so I was stuck with him for a long time, and I only came back to the stables today. I guess lord Eodwine has quite decided, perhaps.

“I think Eodwine will like you,” Javan continued. “You seem nice to me, anyhow, and he likes nice people...all the people here at the hall are nice, leastways, so he seems to have a pretty good eye for such people.”