View Single Post
Old 11-18-2007, 12:30 PM   #930
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Matrim

In the stables Matrim found only a sole groom, a young lad carefully brushing the forelock of a dark gelding, but on seeing him the lad carefully set down his brushes and quickly came around to attend him.

"May I help sir?" the lad asked, curiously peering past him at the sound of the three horses impatiently nickering outside, but falling short at the sight of the long sword sitting on Matrim's hip.

"I am looking for one master Leof, who I am told is the stable master of these halls. Are you he?" Matrim inquired with a slight grin as the young lads eyes drawn away from his sword suddenly widened.

"Oh, oh no, I am not Leof." The lad answered. "Master Leof is at supper, but I can get him for you."

"No, there is no need to disterb his supper, I am sure that between us both we can see to the three horses outside." Matrim replied jovially, allowing the lad to lead the way back out of the stables.

Matrim was careful to ensure that he delt with Balvir's black warhorse as the animal could be somewhat temperamental about his handling and even with Matrim the beast tossed its head and stamped a hoof indignantly if he did something the animal did not like.

"Are you a Guardsman?" the young lad asked suddenly from behind lady 起elhild's dun, without so much as a glance as he carefully unstrapped the saddle.

Matrim grinned at the lad's astuteness or perhaps his candidness. He had seen the question forming on the boy's face from the minute he had laid eyes on the sword at his hip and although carefully sidestepped the lad had obviously not forgotten it.

"Aye that I am, or at least I hope to be." He answered, pulling off the black stallion's saddle and copying the boy; placed it over the low hitching post.

The lad now looked at him as they both turned to unsaddle his dark brown gelding, with a grin broader than any he could manage and a light of interest and excitement that reminded Matrim of himself at that age.

"Lord Eodwine is looking for guardsmen," he said eagerly, "or so I heard my brother say anyway." He shrugged as an afterthought, holding the geldings reigns as Matrim unfastened the straps.

"I do hope so," he chuckled as he slipped of the saddle to put with the others, or I and my friend Balvir will have had a wasted journey."

"There are just two of you?" the young lad asked confused as he took in the three horses.

"Oh, the dun is miss 起el's," Matrim answered casually, though still uncomfortable at addressing her so. "We met her at Meduseld."

"Meduseld!" the boy exclaimed wide eyed. "You've been to the golden hall?" he said tillting his head disbelievingly.

"Aye," Matrim laughed again, he defiantly liked this lads candor. "My Friend has higher hopes than myself and thought we could get work in the kings guards. However it seems the king has as many guards as he needs, but the captain there was good enough to suggest that we try here and as miss 起el was coming to the hall she agreed to show us the way." The lad nodded seemingly accepting his story as they led the horses into the stables, and Matrim took the opportunity to put a question of his own to the boy.

"I am afraid I have to admit that I do not know too much of your Lord Eodwine. I mean what is he like? Is he good to work for?" Closing the door of the stall he had just put Balvir's Stallion into he took off the animals halter and waited patiently for the boy to reply.

Balvir

After disarming as was required by this lord and his hall, Balvir took a seat that gave him a good view of the corridor to which 起elhild and the man he assume to be this Lord Eodwine she spoke so highly of retreated down. It was agreed that he and Matrim would remain in the hall while she spoke to the lord alone, if only reluctantly on his part. Mordavim had sent him to protect her and as such he had argued against this recourse most heatedly, until 起elhild rightly pointed out that a healer with guardsmen would draw too much attention. It needed to be seen that they were not together and that only a chance encounter had brought them to the hall at the same time. There is much of her father in her. he thought fondly as he relaxed into the chair, watching the corridor without openly appearing to do so.

Before long a serving maid approached asking if he required food or refreshment, to which he smiled and replied that he would indeed like some ale and perhaps some bread and cheese if she had it. The young maid nodded once befor hurrying off to fetch his order.

Balvir was just wondering what was keeping Matrim when the serving maid reappeared, setting before him a plate laden with generous slabs of bread and various cheeses along with a very inviting cup of dark golden ale.

He thanked her and as she turned to leave he stopped her, "Excuse me miss, but could you tell me who I should see about possibly gaining work here, my name is Balvir, I am a Guardsman by Profession and they tell me at Meduseld that I may find work here."

起elhild

起el studied the chair for a moment before deciding that perhaps it would be best if she sat. For some of what she had to discuss with Lord Eodwine still left her a little shaky and she needed to appear strong and sure of what she was about to ask of him.

"Pray tell me what news you bring." Eodwine asked.

起el had been worrying how to brooch the subject since leaving Meduseld, but now sitting here before Eodwine she felt strangely at ease. She had witnessed the Lord of the mead hall have this effect on others, even when he himself was not aware of it and with her fears and uncertainties it had kept her nervous and more than a little distant for him. But now was not the time for regret, it was time for honesty, she owed him at least that much. He was a good man and deserved to know what taking her bonds would mean if her uncle was to discover her location.

"My Lord, I bring news that my studies with master Hrethel have come to an end and I would ask to join your household as your healer. However before you consider my request I think there are a few things you should be made aware of." She paused for a moment gathering her thoughts as Lord Eodwine studied her thoughtfully, before indicating for her to continue.

She kept her eyes level as she spoke, "My Name is 起elhild Of Anren, daughter of Lord Arethil, high captain of Ithielien and in Gondor charges of theft, assault and murder are held against me." As she spoke each charge it stung, but she had managed to hold back the tears letting her anger strengthen her resolve as she continued over Lord Eodwine's obvious shock.

"All but the latter are perhaps founded, if you count defending yourself assault and taking that which was given theft, then yes I am guilty! But to the charge of murder that is an outright lie concocted by my uncle to hide his own guilt and to no doubt prevent me from ever returning. I beg only that you listen to my story before making any decisions."

And with that 起el went on to describe her life after her father's death, from the arrival of her uncle; her first and subsequent beatings; the nights he came uninvited to her bed chambers and the night that had lead to the death of her closest and most beloved friend Halfric, with whom she had conspired to run away with, only to be twarted at the last minute by her uncle's early return.

"...My uncle was furious, he drew his sword on halfric. I tried to stop him, but I was not strong enough and he threw me aside. I hit my head and the next thing I remember was waking to find Halfric's lifeless dark eyes staring back at me, I screamed and my uncle dragged me up by my hair. he was stiil angry, murder burned in his eyes and blood dripped from his sword, I was scared and fearing for my life I frantically felt behind me on the desk I had apparently hit, for something, anything. Then finding what felt like the silver paper knife my uncle had often threatened me with, i wrapped my fingers around it and plunged it into his chest! He fell to the ground. I thought he was dead, afraid and sickened by what I had done I fled, taking only the few coins Halfric had given me and my fathers sword, that I had long kept hidden from my uncle."

What 起el did not relay was that the coin had not lasted and more than once she had been waylaid by bandits who had not only thought to relieve her of such a valuable weapon but also what virtues still remained to her and it was only by mere chance and luck that she had managed to escape with either and find her way eventually to Edoras and the kindness of Lady Saeryn, Mistress Bethberry and the Eorl whom before she now sat.

There was still more that needed to be said, of her summons, the revelations that her uncle was not only alive but accused her of Halfric's murder, Lord Mordavim and the men he had sent to protect her. Who even now were here under Eodwines roof enquiring after work as guardsmen for the hall. It was all draining and a little of her resolve was crumbling at the second recount of that horrible night. It hardly seemed fair that she had to subject herself to it again and again while her uncle no doubt gave it not a thought. It was painful, but necessary she reminded herself. So she took a moment not only to compose herself but to allow Lord Eodwine to speak, for she knew there would be much on his mind.

Last edited by Nerindel; 11-18-2007 at 05:18 PM.