View Single Post
Old 11-05-2007, 05:01 PM   #28
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
White-Hand

I believe actually the reason why it was decided that the Fellowship should not go through the Gap of Isen or southwards at all was that it was dangerous to bring the Ring too close to Orthanc. It has nothing to do with Saruman's attack on Théoden - whenever Saruman would have learned about the Ring coming near, he wouldn't care about any Théodens but do everything to get it. Imagine ten thousand Orcs sweeping the land westward of Isen. And even if not: If Uglúk and his party were able to track the Fellowship and catch two Hobbits hundred miles from Isengard, how much easier would that be near Isengard. Frodo could maybe escape using the Ring, Gimli, Legolas and Aragorn would have been slain alongside Boromir, the Hobbits would have been taken captive. The only one who could possibly resist somewhat longer would be Gandalf, but even his powers are not unlimited (I can imagine he could scare away a lesser troop of Orcs with fire, but a large group of "fighting Uruk-hai", probably forewarned by Saruman - "Kill the old man!" shouted Uglúk - would have in the end defeated him). And who knows, maybe Saruman himself would take part on such a dangerous mission when there was Gandalf involved and it was so close to his home.
And also, if the Fellowship were to go through Dunland, let us not forget that the Dunlanders were on good terms with Saruman (or: he had quite a lot of his people among them), and all these Crebains and stuff...
And concerning passing the Drúwaith Iaur, this path was too long.

All I just said is summed up by Gandalf when Boromir asks exactly the way you did:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotR
"(...) let us journey southwards, until we come to the Gap of Rohan, where men are friendly to my people, taking the road that I followed on my way hither. Or we might pass by and cross the Isen into Langstrand and Lebennin, and so come to Gondor from the regions nigh to the sea."
"Things have changed since you came north, Boromir," answered Gandalf. "Did you not hear what I told you of Saruman? With him I may have business of my own ere all is over. But the Ring must not come near Isengard, if that can by any means be prevented. The Gap of Rohan is closed to us while we go with the Bearer."
"As for the longer road: we cannot afford the time. We might spend a year in such a journey, and we should pass through many lands that are empty and harbourless. Yet they would not be safe. The watchful eyes both of Saruman and of the Enemy are on them..."
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote