View Single Post
Old 10-28-2007, 11:39 PM   #19
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Silmaril First post

Hi, everybody! Newbie here.

Now, regarding things literary: Iarwain, I think it's great that you're getting into the classics of your own accord. You did sound quite patronizing in your initial post; I guess by now you've realized that the fact that something's a revelation to you doesn't mean it is to everyone else.

To be honest, this Adler fellow's advice sounds absolutely deadly to me! I believe I speak for many people when I say that the thought of having to analyze everything in such a laborious fashion would completely kill my pleasure in reading. I appreciate it worked for you, but you need to understand that for people who are USED to reading complex texts it's quite unnecessary. Eventually, you will not need to use this method. (I never did, but then I grew up reading the classics.)

Also, you maybe need to consider other theories of the purpose of literature (or art in general), rather than taking Adler as the be-all and end-all. Many works which are considered classics do NOT teach moral or philosophical lessons, at least not in an obvious way. If you expect everything to do so, you're going to be disappointed.
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote