View Single Post
Old 09-20-2007, 08:28 AM   #488
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansun View Post
Do you honestly think the Witch King was greater than the Balrog from Moria, even with the added demonic force?
You don't get what I'm saying. I'm not saying the WK WAS 'greater' than Gandalf.

Quote:
Perhaps a fault of the LOTR was that Gandalf had defeated a great enemy so early in the book (& film), meaning that only Sauron was left to cause a serious threat to Gandalf in battle.
good point. I agree. But then you have to remember that the battle actually was a draw wasn't it? Both Gandalf and the Balrog died. Gandalf grandly states that he defeated his enemy, but he glosses over the point that he had to be brought back to life too!!!!

Quote:
Another point, Gandalf regularly called people fools, as did other characters - why cannot then posters call others fools if they choose to?
And they probably call each other worse things than that but, no, it doesn't give us a right to call each other fools. That is not prudent at all.

Quote:
Isn't Gandalf able to protect his body with special spells rather like the Witch King & Sauron? Otherwise he would be as vulnerable as a Hobbit. In the human form, Gandalf is subject to the same pains, weariness, & fear as with all humans. But the key difference is he can defend himself with a power, of which only Sauron (or any other great maia) could definately contend with.
I haven't read that anywhere as of yet........ to quote Tolkien from The Istari" in Unfinished Tales

"with theconsent of Eru they sent members of their high order, but clad in bodiesas of Men, real and not feigned, but subject of the fears and pain and weariness of earth,able to hunger and thirst and be slain. . . . And this the Valar did, desiring to amend theerrors of old, especially that they had attempted to guard and seclude the Eldar by theirown might and glory fully revealed; whereas now their emissaries were forbidden to revealthemselves in forms of majesty, or to seek to rule the wills of Men or Elves by opendisplay of power, but coming in shapes weak and humble were bidden to advise and persuade Men and Elves to good. . . ."

so Gandalf can die. Be it by a lucky stroke perhaps............
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote