View Single Post
Old 08-06-2007, 01:50 PM   #2
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Well, the new German translation (by Krege) has often been cited for such things as Sam calling Frodo "Boss" - which might be what could be used nowadays, but LotR isn't nowadays! There are many other examples of vocabulary that lowers the story to a vernacular level instead of bringing out the "high and lofty" character of the book. However, I don't own the modern translation, so I can't give specific examples now. Perhaps other German language readers can add more.

The purpose of these changes was not for political correctness, but for modernizing the text to attract a young generation. Whether it has really succeeded in achieving that aim I can't say.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote