View Single Post
Old 07-16-2007, 06:49 AM   #6
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Thanks for your replies! Bb, that's an interesting reference on Tailbiter! Hilde, you noticed a colour connection that I hadn't seen - great! CR, yes - both do not seek adventure; it is more or less forced upon them, and they do go back to a quiet life (though Giles becomes king, one doesn't get the impression that he changes much in doing so). Elempi, you add an aspect that I had in my lecture but didn't mention here - the role of the woman at the hero's side. Let me pass on what I had there:

As I interpret the scene, Fiona did not have the choice of whether or not to be 100% ogress; apparently, that was her true nature, to her own surprise and dismay at first. But that is a similarity to Queen Agatha - both have considerable girth! Psychologically, that means that they take up space, fill out a big role. It also means that unlike other fairy story heroines, they do not derive their worth from their fragile loveliness, and their role is not passive! Both are very active, and that's definitely part of Fiona's personal development. Agatha too plays a big part in her husband's rule - managing the finances. And we know that whoever rules the money rules the world!

I'll look through my notes for more thoughts if there's interest - and I look forward to more comments.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote