View Single Post
Old 06-05-2007, 08:32 AM   #4
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynor
I have the impression that this is a somewhat of a standard slogan everywhere. For example, during WWII, a similar version of it circulated concerning the protection of a mountain pass into Transylvania ("there is no passing through here!"). I guess it is similar to a "stand your ground" order to soldiers; Tolkien, having served in the military, would not be a stranger to this.
I of course knew of "stand your ground" but that is more of a command, where as the other is a pledge, a moral booster. For me it holds much more than a simple statement about not letting the enemy through, it is a thing that can unite and make people stand together.

Anyways I did not know it was also used in WWII, that somewhat decreases the importance of Tolkien serving at the west front during WWII.

I just found it very interesting that this saying was made famouse in a war that Tolkien participated in and on the same front. I got some idea that maybe these words had inspired him in some way or maybe even have ment something for him during the war. . .

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote